lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

Default Installed new clutch, engine shakes upon acceleration and slower to take off.

I have a yamaha g16a. I recently installed a new comet clutch (bestauto from amazon) and now i'm noticing the golf cart shakes a little bit upon acceleration and doesn't go as fast as it used to.

I think i have the starter generator belt tightened to about 3-5 mm of play. When i get up to higher speeds the golf cart runs fine, just takes a lot longer to get there. I think the carb may be dirty, and it started running much better when I put some sea foam in it, but still has the issue I listed above.

I did not grease the clutch as some reviewers said it was a dry clutch, and there are no grease fittings on it.

I also noticed a thread coming out of the starter generator belt. Could that be it?

Any ideas? Thanks
awilliam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Installed new clutch, engine shakes upon acceleration and slower to take off.

Update - I have noticed the cart runs great in reverse. A few forums searches tells me that it could possibly and most likely be the crank shaft seals. They seemed to work fine with the other clutch, but not so much with this one.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Installed new clutch, engine shakes upon acceleration and slower to take off.

Shouldn't be crank seals. If you installed a new drive belt it could be that the new belt is "sticky". Sometimes brand new drive belts need to wear in a bit before they get smoother.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

I tried it with the old belt and the new. Both seem to produce the same symptoms. The old belt looks pretty worn down compared to the new. I wonder if both of those situations could produce the same results. It seemed to drive much better before I did all of this though... I have a mechanic coming out today.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Did you install the clutch with an impact?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #6
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Did you install the clutch with an impact?
I did, yes. Watched a couple videos of other guys doing it, and it seemed fine. Would that tear it up?
Old 03-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilliam77 View Post
I did, yes. Watched a couple videos of other guys doing it, and it seemed fine. Would that tear it up?
No. Thought it might be loose if you didn't use one.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Not saying this is it but....

I know Comet clutches are being knocked off in China. Is this a genuine Comet? Is the seller a Comet dealer? Did the clutch come with literature?

If it's a China knockoff it might not be operating correctly. The $80-$100 clutches online are usually not genuine, they are fakes or copies.

If it's a genuine Comet, I'd be calling their tech department for advice. It could possibly be defective. A genuine Comet clutch will run $200-$300 or more.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:35 AM   #9
Dave in VA

Yamaha

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K74PYWZ...d_asin_0_title

Looks like a knockoff of a Yamaha clutch... Wonder what it looks like under the cover...
Old 03-23-2021, 07:42 AM   #10
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Not saying this is it but....

I know Comet clutches are being knocked off in China. Is this a genuine Comet? Is the seller a Comet dealer? Did the clutch come with literature?

If it's a China knockoff it might not be operating correctly. The $80-$100 clutches online are usually not genuine, they are fakes or copies.

If it's a genuine Comet, I'd be calling their tech department for advice. It could possibly be defective. A genuine Comet clutch will run $200-$300 or more.
I was watching more videos last night and realized my problem. It's the secondary driven clutch. I trusted the seller in that the primary clutch needed to be replaced. Watching the secondary move, I think that's problem. It's very wobbly, especially at low rpms. I can rotate myself and the inner sheave moves like a dinner plate losing balance on a finger (slight exaggeration). I will be ordering a new secondary clutch, replace that and see if it fixes the issue. If not, i'll buy a real primary clutch. I am very new to all this, fyi.

Tags
clutch, g16a
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha