lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2022, 04:08 AM   #1
Linguolizzard
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Can I hook up a volt meter to each battery and one to the whole pack?

Hi All,
Theoretically, could you hook up a in dash volt meter DVM to each individual battery and another one that would read the whole pack?
Just curious, not sure I would ever do this, but was looking at a boat console (big boat) and it had this massive console with buttons and gauges everywhere. I noticed it had a section with all these readings, I think it was temp readings for the different motors. Anyways got me thinking of Sci-fi from the 60s and 70s where they would have the elaborate setups to make things look “futuristic”. If only they knew what the future would actually be… just tv screens everywhere.
Then I though if done right it would be kinda cool looking to see these volt meters going all at once. And nice to see battery health to.
Dr who actually used golf carts quite a bit to make alien vehicles. It made me laugh when I saw them reaching down to move the FnR lever to move the vehicle. So weird how many aliens drive golf carts…
Linguolizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2022, 04:52 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I hook up a volt meter to each battery and one to the whole pack?

Nice idea... and yes, you could do that. It's also possible to charge a single battery in the pack without disconnecting anything
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:31 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Can I hook up a volt meter to each battery and one to the whole pack?

No different than a BMS setup. Because I have a lithium pack, my BMS gives me individual cell voltage and pack voltage. It also tells me amps during charging. Maybe more…I’ve had it so long now that I forget all of it’s features.

But I do know it does it’s job.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You have to be careful what kind of meters you use. If they use separate power, it must be isolated or the meters will not work when connected to multiple batteries. A BMS is designed to do this - and you can get a BMS that has a dash display that will show individual battery voltages.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:33 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We used to offer a setup with a SPDT switch where our meter would monitor the pack and an aux battery. Today our meter can no longer read the single battery (too low).
Theoretically given the right meter range you could use one meter and about 7 switches to read the pack or 6 individual batts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:43 PM   #6
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would think a multi position rotary switch along with a 0-12 VDC meter would work.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:39 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
I would think a multi position rotary switch along with a 0-12 VDC meter would work.
Maybe even a rotary multi position switch This one is 10 positions > https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13253

The negative connection would to the pack main negative. Then the main positive and a separate littl 20/22g wire from each battery positive to the rotary switch positions. Should do it.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You have to move BOTH wires to measure each battery individually. If using a rotary switch, it has to be a dual gang one that moves two wires.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:41 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
You have to move BOTH wires to measure each battery individually. If using a rotary switch, it has to be a dual gang one that moves two wires.
Duh of course they do - brain fart.....

Do you think all of the negatives could share a common connection? If yes the rotary dial would still work
Old 07-24-2022, 02:13 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

No - All of the negatives need to be isolated or you would have a dead short across each battery.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO