lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2022, 10:34 PM   #1
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 14' Precedent motor cables help

I have a 2014 extended "limo" CC precedent with a lithium upgrade from Roy Pow model S51160. The white cable that goes in to the motor rotted out and broke lose while driving. that then cause a short. Obviously the cart is not operational.
Couple of questions:
1. Do i replace the entire cable set?
2. Do I just cut the damaged end of the white and green cable put a new O-Ring terminal to the cables and reattach to the motor?

the short caused some of the green cable insulation to melt thus exposing some wire.

Has anyone experienced this? Would the Solenoid or controller suffered additional damage?
mannvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2022, 09:40 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 14' Precedent motor cables help

That motor will likely have to be removed to replace the brush wires. Heat goes both ways and likely has damaged the copper wires that go to the brushes in the motor as well.
It also melted the plastic insulator that keeps the stud from touching the motor and shorting to the case.

I would recommend you upgrade the entire cable set for 4ga cables.
If you have a stock controller you may be in the market for a controller as well. Shorting of the motor cables usually means an instant death for a factory controller. But you won't be able to test that until you get the cables fixed and verify that the motor doesn't have an internal short.

That's a Plum quick motor, so I would talk with them about getting the correct brushes and the insulator or send it to them to have it repaired.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:00 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That wire did not rot off it burned off indicating a problem with the system design. Address this issue or expect to repeat the problem
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #4
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thank you for your insight. I totally missed the insulator of the terminal. thank you for this. I got a call in to PlumQuick to see what would be best.

btw I am finding a tough time finding the actual cables that go to the motor.
would you know where I could find them?
Old 07-27-2022, 10:29 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

ScottyB probably has some.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #6
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quick update:
Removed lithium battery pack.
While removing the motor cables to replace also noticed that the controller had some heat/short issue(see pic).
Hard thing here is that there is no definitive reason why this happened. One can say cable size. (Replacing with zero gage cables). Another is that heat got to the motor and caused a melt and short. (Sent motor to plumquick) also adding a Speedo with temp warning.

Hard to figure out what to do next since we do not know what exactly happened. Would you plug the controller and see if it still works? Or just call it a loss and upgrade controllers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3F06932A-21CA-4BDD-A8D8-1DE35D31101B.jpg (189.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The cables were old and had corrosion in them, and are slightly undersized for that motor.
Replace the controller as well. Burned connections that are that bad will compromise the internals of the controller.

0ga cables are a completely unnecessary expense, and far more difficult to work with. 4ga is perfect for 90% of applications, most carts used on roads and majority of upgraded motors.
2ga is best for off-road/hunting rigs or big tire/high torque applications.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:47 PM   #8
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The cables were old and had corrosion in them, and are slightly undersized for that motor.
Replace the controller as well. Burned connections that are that bad will compromise the internals of the controller.

0ga cables are a completely unnecessary expense, and far more difficult to work with. 4ga is perfect for 90% of applications, most carts used on roads and majority of upgraded motors.
2ga is best for off-road/hunting rigs or big tire/high torque applications.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Would you suggest going with stock controller or moving to the alltrax/navitas
the cart goes fast as it is now so not really looking to increase speed. Also if I am doing all that solenoid?

Tags
motor, rust, short
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car