lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2022, 11:32 PM   #1
Rooster410
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G2 Clutch Problems

just bought this golf cart. I thought the clutch was bad because it wouldn’t engage. I bought a new one and it’s doing the same thing. It will spin freely with about a 1/4Inch gap between the belt and clutch. It looks like the clutch doesn’t even begin to engage against the belt. The 1/4inch gap doesn’t change even while spinning. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong. Thank you in advanced for any advice!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (206.3 KB, 0 views)
Rooster410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2022, 01:12 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G2 Clutch Problems

Just a wild guess but I’m gonna say your engine isn’t running it’s just spinning by the starter/generator.

Start checking for spark, compression, and fuel issues.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 01:20 AM   #3
Rooster410
Not Yet Wild

It runs, needs some fresh gas. it stays at one throttle position but I think it’s supposed to do that. The clutch just spins freely without closing in. It’s brand new.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:21 AM   #4
Rooster410
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Just a wild guess but I’m gonna say your engine isn’t running it’s just spinning by the starter/generator.

Start checking for spark, compression, and fuel issues.

It runs, needs some fresh gas. it stays at one throttle position but I think it’s supposed to do that. The clutch just spins freely without closing in. It’s brand new.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:35 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you open the throttle by hand does it rev up? Or keep spinning the same speed
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:25 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster410 View Post
It runs I doubt it!!
I think it’s supposed to do that. No its not!!
I am not a gambling man but this time round i might just lay some money down on the possibility CP is correct that the engine is not actually running.

But then I am a nincompoop, so what do i know.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:43 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

These golf carts are a little different than you car. Because they are "pedal start" is easy to think the starter spinning the engine is "running". If it doesn't speed up and slow down the spinning of the engine with the throttle, it's not actually running. The clutch works on weighted arms inside that housing to force the walls of that pulley to close in on the belt. It won't happen till the engine is accelerating beyond that starter's cranking speed. It HAS to rev up. This YouTube video shows and explains it a bit. It's not the same engine as your G2, but the system works the same.
https://www.google.com/search?q=golf...id:o-Dpo1GfZ4Q

Last edited by meimk; 12-21-2022 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:51 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster410 View Post
The engine isn't supposed to stay at one throttle position. If it's in neutral with the rear wheels off the floor, start and run the engine. If you press the pedal it should rev up. The exhaust should get hot. You should have exhaust fumes coming out of the muffler. The others are probably right, it's just spinning from the starter/generator. Your clutch should engage at around 1800-2000 rpm, the starter only spins the engine at like 500 rpm, not enough to engage the clutch.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:14 AM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
The engine isn't supposed to stay at one throttle position. If it's in neutral with the rear wheels off the floor, start and run the engine. If you press the pedal it should rev up. The exhaust should get hot. You should have exhaust fumes coming out of the muffler. The others are probably right, it's just spinning from the starter/generator. Your clutch should engage at around 1800-2000 rpm, the starter only spins the engine at like 500 rpm, not enough to engage the clutch.
All of the above. And you need a new belt. OEM at a minimum. Avoid aftermarket wuhan crap. Plowmans and GBoost belts are better.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 11:11 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
All of the above. And you need a new belt. OEM at a minimum. Avoid aftermarket wuhan crap. Plowmans and GBoost belts are better.
"Wuhan crap".... Is that a technical term
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, engage, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha