lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2023, 01:27 PM   #31
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Gas Coming From Crankcase Vent

Also I am not sure if the year but it is MCI. It has the manifold cast with the head. That being said, it has a lot of pre MCI parts as well such as the exhaust muffler and the valve stems have slots in them. So I am thinking at some point someone swapped two carts together. Is there any sure way to know it is valve seals before I take them apart?
ewsisk1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2023, 01:38 PM   #32
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Valve stem seals will make the cart smoke bad when you first start it, smells like burning oil. After maybe a minute or so of running it clears up. If they’re real bad sometimes it will make it blow a puff of smoke when you coast to a long stop, when you first hit the gas it can puff but most of the time running it won’t smoke.

This happens, especially on a cold start because the oil in the head pools in the bottom of the head and leaks down past the valve stem seals into the cylinder. So when you first start it up it burns off whatever leaked into the cyl overnight. Stopping for 5 or 30 minutes generally is not enough time for it to leak down.

You will definitely know the smell of burning oil.

But you said something else that I find interesting… you said if you remove one of the spark plug wires it doesn’t run? That’s not right. It won’t run WELL with only one plug wire connected but it will still run. If it won’t run with one of the wires pulled then the other cylinder is dead and needs to be looked into. Can you elaborate?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:53 PM   #33
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

When I took the wire off of the dry plug it would run, just poorly. When I took the wire off of the wet plug it would not start. I held my foot on the gas and got nothing. I didn’t hold it for very long. I will try again in a minute. Both cylinders have good compression
Old 02-04-2023, 02:02 PM   #34
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #35
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

Tried again and same thing
Old 02-04-2023, 02:17 PM   #36
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

When you hold the spark plug against the exhaust manifold what color is the spark? White? Blue? Yellow?
Old 02-04-2023, 02:19 PM   #37
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

With one wire removed (either one) it should run, just not very well. The fact that it doesn’t run when you remove one of the plug wires tells me you have a dead cylinder. Check spark color and brightness on both plugs. I’d also recheck compression again just to be sure.

Something ain’t right
Old 02-04-2023, 02:41 PM   #38
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

The spark is like a blueish purple. Swapped the wire from the wet plug to the dry and left the wet plug without a wire. The cart will now start with the wet plug unplugged. Found the issue, see the picture. I am assuming it is still sparking but just a weak spark. I still don’t understand why the one plug is getting wet though. That is the plug with the good wire….ideas? Still leaning towards valve stems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63558FAA-2DD0-44AE-8D80-0F08FFA8A36B.jpg (100.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-04-2023, 04:29 PM   #39
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I think you have a bad plug wire. Don’t think they’re replaceable on the mci coil but I may be wrong. I know you can get just the cables for the pre-mci coil
Old 02-04-2023, 08:57 PM   #40
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

I changed the valve stem seals. After running the cart for 10 minute increments for a total of 40 minutes or so the driver side plug is still getting wet. Appears to be getting less wet though. I am thinking/hoping that there is just some oil in the cylinder set that still has to burn off. When I adjusted the valves after putting the seals in, the screw driver slots on the driver side stem seals were at a different angle than the passenger side. Maybe I need to go in and adjust them again. Either way it does appear to be getting better, still fouling the one plug though but like mentioned earlier, hoping this is normal for a little while

Also I swapped the plugs to see if one was bad and the driver side was still getting wet. Swapped the wires and same thing, always the drivers side getting wet after 10 minutes or so of driving

Tags
crankcase vent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO