lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2023, 09:21 PM   #21
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo fouling one spark plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
That would be a good start. Let's see what coil you actually have!

I still think we need to concentrate on why only one cylinder is fouling a plug.

I wonder if it might be a bad oil ring.
I already told him the oil ring is probably bad. He is using the pre mci coil which just isn't got to get it I would start first with getting the correct coil. Rare I do think but I have a few OEM's but I have to keep them because I have been known to smoke one lol
I do know a dealer who might have one if he wants me to check.
Post 17 shows the MCI ignitor and he is for sure using the pre mci coil.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2023, 09:31 PM   #22
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

My comment on the oil rings was a direct dig Trig. I have this feeling you may have hit the nail squarely on the head. If I recall everything correctly, apart from the coil possibly being wrong, why else would only one cylinder be fouling the plug. Usually, when a dual output coil fails, it would affect both cylinders due to the way they are constructed and operate. There is no separation between plug circuits. One plug relies on the other to create the spark. This is why both plugs need ground for testing. I know you understand this already Trig, but just putting it out there for others to know.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:34 PM   #23
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Yes, I saw the igniter and you identified it before I could post. I will have to backtrack a bit as I know he mentioned a pre MCI coil but maybe I missed a picture of it.

EDIT.
ok I found the picture of the coil. It is as you said, incorrect. But I still don't see how it would affect only one cylinder.

I will leave you guys to it for now, it's 2.40 am over here and I need my ugly sleep. I will check in again tomorrow maybe.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:13 PM   #24
ewsisk1s
Not Yet Wild

So would the incorrect coil cause one plug to be wet? I think it is wet with oil but I guess it could be gas, here is a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 509B8E55-123A-4129-A612-2267191C50CD.jpg (81.5 KB, 0 views)
ewsisk1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:28 PM   #25
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsisk1s View Post
So would the incorrect coil cause one plug to be wet? I think it is wet with oil but I guess it could be gas, here is a picture
I don't think a coil would cause the plug to get fouled like this one just on the one cylinder and not the other. You said you swapped the wires and it still did it. I said earlier I think you have an oil ring problem.
You do need to find the correct coil and in your case it looks like someone has cut the wires that came with this cart so you will need to find or make a wire end. These MCI coils plug in different plus they have a moisture protector on them.
I don't know if I mentioned this but I have an engine with 170 pounds of compression on both cylinders but it smokes like crazy, more when engine gets hot. Plugs look like yours but I know my engine needs rebuilding. I just haven't took the time to do it yet.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:41 PM   #26
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Here is the difference in the MCI and Pre MCI coil. Its going to be hard to find a coil with dual terminals that would measure close to the MCI which is the one you need to use. As you can see the resistance is different in these two coils.

Ezgo got this engine right using this ignition setup as they crank much better than the pre MCI .
I know one dealer who might have a MCI coil and can check if you want me to. For now I think you need to be thinking about a rebuild . I can't think of a way for sure to check the oil rings other than tearing into the engine.

There are people here who want more HP that change these engines out to higher HP that might have a complete engine willing to sell you. They might even have the OEM coil and muffler . I forgot to mention. You also need the right muffler that goes with this engine. At least I would.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MCI Coil test.jpg (181.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg pre mci coil test.jpg (186.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:54 PM   #27
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d listen to trig. He’s like 100 years old and been working on these motors for at least 200…

You’ve at least got all the nincompoops going on this one

100% wrong coil. Also, what is this plug (circled in red) connected to? Looks like nothing? And the hose (circled in yellow) should also be connected to something

God only knows what else is disconnected/missed/hacked on this cart…

I hate to say it… but… It might be in your best financial interests to buy a vegas kit cradle and clutch, lifan motor, and swap it. Then part out what you’ve got here to help cover costs. I have a feeling this is gonna be a snowball type thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7497ECE2-7DCF-4ECE-9EF0-7EE68BF3C79B.jpeg (346.0 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 11:26 PM   #28
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I’d listen to trig. He’s like 100 years old and been working on these motors for at least 200…

You’ve at least got all the nincompoops going on this one

100% wrong coil. Also, what is this plug (circled in red) connected to? Looks like nothing? And the hose (circled in yellow) should also be connected to something

God only knows what else is disconnected/missed/hacked on this cart…

I hate to say it… but… It might be in your best financial interests to buy a vegas kit cradle and clutch, lifan motor, and swap it. Then part out what you’ve got here to help cover costs. I have a feeling this is gonna be a snowball type thing
Not that old yet . 3/4th of that number though I feel great so age to me is only a number .
With us nincompoops helping I don't see how we could sway him wrong.
That part that you put the yellow circle is one of the carburetor vent tubes that fell off. See how good my old eyes are
The part in the red circle looks like the pre mci pulser plug in. I think it was in the wiring harness that was used because the wires on the coil look OEM.
There's Your Dinner!! as Taryl always tells us on youtube
Old 02-14-2023, 12:58 AM   #29
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I'm back. This cart certainly seems to be a cobble up of parts! Correct, igniter, wrong coil, wrong exhaust for MCI, who knows what pulser is in that engine. Is that pulser plug actually connected to anything? If so it suggests more wrongdoing.
This is going to be a mare to get sorted out. I think CP has the best solution in finding another engine or doing a conversion as I hinted at earlier.
Personally, I would be putting on my boxing gloves and having a close-up conversation with the person it was purchased from regarding a refund. This deal was basically a robbery. I guess market value was paid for it.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:41 AM   #30
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I'm back. This cart certainly seems to be a cobble up of parts! Correct, igniter, wrong coil, wrong exhaust for MCI, who knows what pulser is in that engine. Is that pulser plug actually connected to anything? If so it suggests more wrongdoing.
This is going to be a mare to get sorted out. I think CP has the best solution in finding another engine or doing a conversion as I hinted at earlier.
Personally, I would be putting on my boxing gloves and having a close-up conversation with the person it was purchased from regarding a refund. This deal was basically a robbery. I guess market value was paid for it.
All he would have to do is ohm the pulser. 433.5 - 586.5 ohms is what it should show. My bet he has the correct one on it. Otherwise it wouldn't run. I would check on getting it rebuilt at motors and more. He can find a coil and muffler. I might look into finding another engine but it wouldn't be one of those upgrades.

Tags
ezgo, fouling, spark plugs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO