lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2023, 07:32 PM   #11
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Question on DS Charger

I have OBCs , pretty much free if you can use it, pay the shipping, I’m about to trash them.
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2023, 10:02 PM   #12
hrk
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman24 View Post
I have OBCs , pretty much free if you can use it, pay the shipping, I’m about to trash them.
May have take you up on one I'll PM you, the model number on mine is 101909901. Bought one off Amazon to test on the cart with the current diagnosis pointing at the OBC. That doesn't seem to be the issue, unless the new OBC is bad as well. Odds of two of them being bad?

Could the charging receptacle be bad, it was a bit difficult for the wife to get the charging cord to seat, I did check continuity all three holes showed continuity but it took a bit of wiggling around the meter wire before it worked.

Hate to keep tossing parts at the thing.

I guess I could order one, temp hook it up and see if that's the problem.

Summary:

Bought a OBC from Amazon, it has a 30 day return, and wanted to see if it made a difference. Has correct PN. Link

Some details of whats happened so far:

1) Tested my charger on another DS, it comes on after a few seconds of being plugged into the other cart.

2) Plugged my cart into a known working charger and it that charge will not come on.

3) Replaced all batteries, it was time anyway since the others had been run down too much and they were 5 years old this year. Batteries are Interstate 8V from Costco.

4) Removed old OBC, replaced with new OBC, checked connections, took pictures to confirm where all the wires should be.

5) Connected charger, it will not come on.

6) Continuity check with Red wire to charge port - it shows continuity
Also checked the other two - to the Fuse cap - and the third all show continuity.

7) Fuse in yellow holder is new and good.

8 ) charging receptacle was being difficult to get the charging cord connected, taking a bit more force than normal, wife couldn't get it to plug in properly, I thought the thing not charging for a while was her not plugging the thing all the way in....
hrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:56 AM   #13
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Question on DS Charger

Verify you have 48 volts from pack, main pos and main neg reading, this will tell us if you connected batteries right and if have a bad battery wire. Check the big fuse on the charge receptacle on the back side of it. Also definitely check the grey wire in the receptacle, that grey wire is basically what triggers the charger to come on, if it’s corroded in the receptacle, which happens often that could be the only issue.

Old 03-16-2023, 04:02 AM   #14
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Question on DS Charger

Also if you want to do a test , can run wires, connect the grey to main negative and the black from back of charge receptacle to main negative as well. The red should be in main positive like normal. That by passes the OBC and should trigger the charger to come on. Note that this will only work if batteries have enough voltage, they should since you state they are new.

Remember this is just a test as the charger will NOT turn off on its own and could burn a cart up, that’s if it comes on for you.

Also if grey wire is corroded this test won’t work.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:18 AM   #15
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another thought to: When you installed new OBC did you cut the black wire terminal off the old one and run the black wire that goes to the main negative through the hole in the OBC? Lots of people don’t run it through the hole in the middle of the OBC, and it has to be run through there.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:44 AM   #16
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

And just so you know, the reason I have OBCs is I by pass them and get Summit 2 chargers. You can sell your old charger for $120-180 most likely if working and put towards a Summit. A guy local here sells the Summits for $180 that they pulled out of carts to do lithium upgrades so was a no brained for me to do the by pass.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:36 AM   #17
hrk
Getting Wild
Club Car

Beerman, thanks appreciate all the information, the bypass is exactly what I was looking for, a way around the OBC to hopefully validate the issue.

That will be tonights project to run the two wires to the negative post.

Just checked the pack voltage, 48.1 across the pack, so wires are good
and total pack voltage as well.. Good to know.

The new OBC came with the black wire already installed through it, I checked online videos, before doing the swap which was a straight forward procedure

If it doesn't want to come on even with bypass it's got to be in the receptacle internally not connecting, there really isn't anything else.

At some point I may do as you suggested and go with the Summit 2 and dump the obc totally.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:28 AM   #18
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yup, that grey wire is a “sense” wire so to speak, it senses voltage and if enough (I think has to be like 36v) it triggers the charger to come on. So if that grey wire is bad none of the tests will work.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #19
hrk
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thats great information, would it be a good test to simply jump the grey to the last negative terminal, vs both black and grey, do one at a time, see if it's that wire only? or do both need to be jumped to go around the OBC
Old 03-16-2023, 09:59 AM   #20
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

To eliminate the OBC , both have to be connected from the charge receptacle to the main battery neg. You will have to make wires and connect so you don’t cut the ones in your cart. Make sure to obviously make sure the originals are disconnected. Like I said this is just a test to trick the charger.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car