lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2023, 03:58 PM   #21
Rick2280
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Tried to add converter...almost set my cart on fire

on the 30-amp pro chaser the thin red wire hooks to the output side of your key switch, the unit turns on when you turn on the cart. Saves on battery drain.
Rick2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2023, 04:02 PM   #22
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick2280 View Post
on the 30-amp pro chaser the thin red wire hooks to the output side of your key switch, the unit turns on when you turn on the cart. Saves on battery drain.
yup I have one of those now... also means I had to get creative with a radio memory work around being the yellow wire for memory is now the main power wire for newer radios.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:04 PM   #23
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Most 5 wire are power in, power out and a trigger to turn it on. The 6 wire units have a constant 12v for radio memory.
but being the radio uses the main power wire for memory now does those 6 wire units actually use less power than an unswitched converter thats always on?
Old 03-14-2023, 04:07 PM   #24
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPixie View Post
How do you pre-charge it?
You have to have a resistor to precharge it like the one thats on the solenoid to precharge the controller but the issue is it will spark like that every time you turn it off and on.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:10 PM   #25
Rick2280
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

no need to pre-charge it, just be ready for a good size spark when you first hook up the positive wire to your 48volt battery. Touch the wire to the pos. terminal get it pre-charged with a spark then remove wire and hook it up permanently.
Rick2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:33 PM   #26
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick2280 View Post
no need to pre-charge it, just be ready for a good size spark when you first hook up the positive wire to your 48volt battery. Touch the wire to the pos. terminal get it pre-charged with a spark then remove wire and hook it up permanently.
and make sure you have a relay or beefy rated power switch to turn it on and off with the key switch or switch because the sparking each time will do a number on the contacts.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:03 PM   #27
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPixie View Post
Ding ding! I accidentally switched the input/output sides.

I'm going to go ahead and put in a toggle switch this time. I was planning to put it on the positive supply to the fuse/distribution block, since it's up by the dashboard, but would it be better on the 48v input side of the converter?

(I have the converter mounted next to the batteries, and the fuse block up at the dashboard.)
The switch should go in the 48 volt positive wire. You won't get any sparks when you hook it up if the switch is off.

Also, this shows why the two blacks are common in a buck type voltage reducer:
Attached Images
File Type: png Voltage converter wiring.PNG (134.1 KB, 0 views)
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:23 PM   #28
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
The switch should go in the 48 volt positive wire. You won't get any sparks when you hook it up if the switch is off.

Also, this shows why the two blacks are common in a buck type voltage reducer:
That diagram is of a completely different reducer. look at the wiring directions in this description. https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Vol...68192215&psc=1

However the pic of the board shows the center 2 wires may in fact be shared though so you might be right. and I just checked the 2 black leads with a meter and they do appear to be one and the same.

EDIT im convinced your right, I see the pic states its a non isolated buck converter and those typically share a ground.

https://flexpowermodules.com/isolate...rs-an-overview
Old 03-15-2023, 01:19 AM   #29
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Every boost or buck converter I have seen or used have not been isolated and the input ground and output ground are one and the same. I've used and researched many many of them. I'm not suggesting that there aren't isolated units available but they would be more expensive, and since that's a premium feature, they would be advertised as being isolated.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:15 AM   #30
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Every boost or buck converter I have seen or used have not been isolated and the input ground and output ground are one and the same. I've used and researched many many of them. I'm not suggesting that there aren't isolated units available but they would be more expensive, and since that's a premium feature, they would be advertised as being isolated.
This is where I had gotten the idea otherwise.. coincidentally I use the reducer in question in this thread.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=187626

However now after doing some research it does appear these pro chaser units do in fact also share a ground... at least they do according to this electrical engineer in the reviews.
https://www.ubuy.com.mx/en/product/5...educer-regulat

He claims it makes them more dangerous and prone to fire... I guess thats another good reason to not leave them wired up so they are on all the time. @dundeebarnbuggy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car