lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2023, 05:14 PM   #1
graphictees
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with Reversing Contactor

I'm trying to convert an older Ezgo with the Rotary F/R Switch to a Reversing Contactor. I ordered the Heavy Duty DC182 from Carts Unlimited and I'm having trouble figuring out how to install it. I looked at the instructions and there are a few things that aren't clear. Here is what I've done so far:

1) Attached the Diodes - It wasn't clear what sides to attach the diodes to. there are 2 of them and they go on the opposite sides of the contactor, but there are 2 sets of prongs on each side. Which ones do they go on. On both sides, one set has black wires on them and the other set is bare. I currently have the diodes attached to the side with the black wires. Is that correct?

2) The Instructions say to connect a wire from the center pin on the rocker switch to the Solenoid. Where on the Solenoid should I connect this? (See Pic)

I think I can figure out the rest from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid.jpg (176.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Contactor.jpg (137.9 KB, 0 views)
graphictees is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Help with Reversing Contactor

see this thread. #8 is where you get your answers.....see if this helps

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=117069
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 02:26 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
see this thread. #8 is where you get your answers.....see if this helps

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=117069
Thank you Brad.

If you wiggle either small post on the DC182 the opposite side moves at the same time. Both of the + posts are the same electrical contact. The center F&R wire would attach to the + side of the small solenoid terminals. In your picture it has red wires attached to it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
graphictees
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the help. I now know where to attach the Solenoid. I guess that I have the Diodes on the wrong terminals. I will switch that to the terminals without the black wires.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:30 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphictees View Post
Thank you for the help. I now know where to attach the Solenoid. I guess that I have the Diodes on the wrong terminals. I will switch that to the terminals without the black wires.
It makes no difference which side you use. Both sides are the SAME piece of metal. Wiggle one and see for your self.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:56 AM   #6
bdot79
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphictees View Post
I'm trying to convert an older Ezgo with the Rotary F/R Switch to a Reversing Contactor. I ordered the Heavy Duty DC182 from Carts Unlimited and I'm having trouble figuring out how to install it. I looked at the instructions and there are a few things that aren't clear. Here is what I've done so far:

1) Attached the Diodes - It wasn't clear what sides to attach the diodes to. there are 2 of them and they go on the opposite sides of the contactor, but there are 2 sets of prongs on each side. Which ones do they go on. On both sides, one set has black wires on them and the other set is bare. I currently have the diodes attached to the side with the black wires. Is that correct?

2) The Instructions say to connect a wire from the center pin on the rocker switch to the Solenoid. Where on the Solenoid should I connect this? (See Pic)

I think I can figure out the rest from there.
I recently got the DC182 as well and I was lost as well. The included instructions are unclear and are mainly for the for the SW202 which is similar but not the same. Add to that, there are many ways to connect which adds to the confusion. I found a diagram for the DC182 in the Curtis manual but haven't tried it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: png FR_1205m.PNG (51.9 KB, 0 views)
bdot79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:48 PM   #7
graphictees
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: Help with Reversing Contactor

I used this manual along with other things that I pieced together to try and figure out everything. The instructions that came with the DC-182 are confusing. It does not give specifics on where to attach all of the wires and it doesn't give specifics on a step by step conversion from a Rotary system. Specifically the illustrations. I'm still having trouble trying to figure out the last part of connecting the ignition wire. I'm really confused here and afraid that I may mess up my controller somehow.

This attached manual has a better illustration on how to connect most wires, but on my 5092 Contactor the Positive and Negative prongs are reversed from this illustration. So I made that change. I'm still not sure if I put the Diodes on the correct prongs on each side. I've seen it different ways in different examples. Are they to go on the side of the prongs that have the Black Wires, or on the sides that don't?

Still a Little Bit Confused!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf F-R Contactor Instructions Updated.pdf (1.21 MB, 0 views)
Old 03-17-2023, 01:28 PM   #8
graphictees
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdot79 View Post
I recently got the DC182 as well and I was lost as well. The included instructions are unclear and are mainly for the for the SW202 which is similar but not the same. Add to that, there are many ways to connect which adds to the confusion. I found a diagram for the DC182 in the Curtis manual but haven't tried it yet.
Can you please post the Diagram from the Curtis Manual? Maybe that would help me with my issue also. I think that I have it almost done. I'm just not sure of the wires that I need to connect together from the ignition. I have a used cart and the color of the wires seem to be different.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:21 PM   #9
graphictees
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
It makes no difference which side you use. Both sides are the SAME piece of metal. Wiggle one and see for your self.
Now I'm stuck on the last part. Here are the loose wires that I don't know what to do with. You can see where they originally were on the rotary switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230317_135657.jpg (155.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230317_135743.jpg (125.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230317_135818.jpg (177.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230317_135842.jpg (149.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230314_194355.jpg (161.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-17-2023, 04:12 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

One reason why you are having trouble is because the F&R micro switches on this cart were not wired correctly to start with. The Red and blue wires should have been on the drivers side Micro switch and I believe line 1 of the instruction says remove the red and blue wires from the micro switch and splice them together... thus sending power the the key switch.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO