lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
timgroleau
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 never turns over completely

New here, and just inherited a Yamaha G1 golf cart. From someone who was trashing it at the end of last season in our Maine trailer park. I got the Cart going for a short period but then started running into issues. I have bought a new starter generator, and carborator but I am still having an issue where the carts spinning up the starter great but the most I get out of the engine is a ping every second of so but it never turns over completely.

Plug gap is .024
Compression is 120
New carb
Removed the air filter for testing.

Not sure if maybe the exhaust is plugged or how to check that. Not sure what it could be as all the things I’ve checked so far look to be in spec. Any ideas would be helpful. I do have a video I took too if anyone thinks that might help.
timgroleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 never turns over completely

Your compression is good and your starter is spinning so that leads one to believe that you are losing spark. That's usually a bad cdi or associated wiring. If you do a forum search you will find a lot of posts about those.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
timgroleau
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Your compression is good and your starter is spinning so that leads one to believe that you are losing spark. That's usually a bad cdi or associated wiring. If you do a forum search you will find a lot of posts about those.
Thanks, As i continued to do more research I was thinking a few possibilities.
1. Clogged Exhaust
2. CDI Module (Which i did buy one because it was clearenced for $74.00)
3. Bad grounds

I'm not well versed with the wiring in this machine and how all the grounds are grounded and where they ground to. If it could be a ground i want to make sure that's checked and all set before i put in the new CDI because i don't want to burn it out or something.

I do get spark when i pull the plug and rest it on the muffler and press the peddle but not sure if there's a timing issue with it. it looks like it fires rapidly and strong.

are any of my other thoughts possible culprits or does it seem to point to the CDI module.

Thanks, Tim
Old 02-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Pull the exhaust off and try it.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
timgroleau
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo002 View Post
Pull the exhaust off and try it.
Ill give that a shot soon... tried once before to remove it but its on there pretty good. Ill hit it with some penetrating oil over the next few days.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

where on earth did you find a CDI unit let alone for $74? A used unit I take it?

Get an adjustable spark checking tool at your local parts store and set it at the proper gap. They are cheap enough and will come in handy.

With these cats being 30+ years old clean and or replace the cables from the starter/gen to the battery and from starter gen to solenoids. One of the best things I did for my 84 was replace these cables. secondly make sure your battery is fully charged. Check all your fuses. If no spark it may not be the CDI but the stator coil.

While some of the parts are no longer available there are options out there for getting her going.

If the carb you replaced is stock KEEP IT. the aftermarket ones are known to have issues. Most times unless the shafts are worn the carb usually just needs a good cleaning and bowl gaskets.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
timgroleau
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
where on earth did you find a CDI unit let alone for $74? A used unit I take it?

Get an adjustable spark checking tool at your local parts store and set it at the proper gap. They are cheap enough and will come in handy.

With these cats being 30+ years old clean and or replace the cables from the starter/gen to the battery and from starter gen to solenoids. One of the best things I did for my 84 was replace these cables. secondly make sure your battery is fully charged. Check all your fuses. If no spark it may not be the CDI but the stator coil.

While some of the parts are no longer available there are options out there for getting her going.

If the carb you replaced is stock KEEP IT. the aftermarket ones are known to have issues. Most times unless the shafts are worn the carb usually just needs a good cleaning and bowl gaskets.
I assume its an aftermarket New CDI
wwwbuggiesunlimitedcom/product.asp?sku=13266

The starter generator is new, runs great. The plug i pulled last night, cleaned with carb cleaner, lightly sanded the points, regaped it to .024 and tested for spark against the muffler and it looked strong. Brand New ignition coil installed yesterday as well.

Here is a video i shot to better help with what its doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klU-zO4gRd0
Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
Field6565
Gone Wild

Sounds like it's firing. Make sure the butterfly in the exhaust flange is opening. I see the linkage moving but check and see that it's actually opening.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #9
timgroleau
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
Sounds like it's firing. Make sure the butterfly in the exhaust flange is opening. I see the linkage moving but check and see that it's actually opening.
On the carborator? The butterfly valves are working, tested them before installing it, it’s brand new. Hoping that the carb was the issue but no luck.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Are you sure you are getting fuel?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha