lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
enjoylife..itsshort
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Did I do good, bad, or ugly?

Okay folks. I had posted about doing a big block swap next winter and asking for some input. Well, I ran across these on craigslist and bought them now even though the swap is in the future. I think I did pretty good but I figure you guys will definitely let me know. These came off a home-made Jr. Dragster that I paid $300 for. The guy told me that the motor was an 18 HP briggs, I really don't know, perhaps someone could identify it and tell me he's right. It spun freely and had compression, couldn't start it because the intake and carb are disconnected, and looks to be all there minus a torque converter. It has a large flywheel on the opposite side and is an electric start. The slicks are brand new, still got the tits and print on them, so I figure I can sell those off for a few. And the Dana-Spicer rear end is also new, I think the rust came from just sitting. It's a 13.25 to 1 ratio. On that one I could definitely use some input as to the value of it or what else it can be utilized for other than his dragster. I was hoping to sell off the tires and axle and pretty much get the engine for free. Again, a lot of you have a lot more knowledge than me so I can use your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010384.jpg (80.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg P1010385.jpg (77.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg P1010386.jpg (31.3 KB, 59 views)
enjoylife..itsshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
shawn.m
Gone Wild

Default Re: Did I do good, bad, or ugly?

you did great! that is only a pulley on the motor, so you will still need a clutch.
can you post a better picture of the pull on the input shaft to the transaxle. hopefully they did not weld it to the shaft
shawn.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Z400
Not Yet Wild

Im laughing over here at the fact that someone used such parts for a Homemade JR dragster.

But if it worked, then hey it worked.

Motor looks to be in dang good shape!
Z400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
enjoylife..itsshort
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies guys. The pulley isn't welded to the input shaft on the Dana, just a set screw on a keyed shaft. Any idea what the transaxle belongs to or can be utilized for? It's a five lug so it's not for a golf cart. Would like to know so I can try and sell it. Again, I appreciate the input.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That rear could be from many different utility carts. Lots of the golf course stuff has 5 lugs. Does it have reverse?
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
enjoylife..itsshort
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

How could I tell? By spinning the input to see if it hits both ways?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, it should have a shifter in the front somewhere if it has reverse. The input shaft will only turn the direction of the motor. The 2 cycles would change motor direction to get reverse. A 4 cycle needs a rear gearbox with a reverse. I don't know if they use that in Jr. dragsters.
I do like those brake drums. That'll stop!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
enjoylife..itsshort
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It does have the shift in the front of it. Basic 3 positions F N R. I would really like to know what it's for and what it's worth. Any ideas? The case still has the barcode tag on it and I can make out the numbers, maybe I can call Dana-Spicer and see if they can reference it.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Z400
Not Yet Wild

Most JR dragster's do not run reverse, i have never seen one run a ring and pinion like pictured above.
That is a garage build.

All of the JR dragster's ive ever seen (several thousand since i am a drag racer on the weekends) all have a torque converter with a live axle.
Z400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That would be the best bet. I have no idea how to find the original application. A used rear axle for an EZGO from a junkyard is worth $350.-400.00. It may be the same thing with different axles. It looks like a regular golf cart diff. with huge brake drums. Some models probably have some interchangable parts...
You did very well with that buy!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!