lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
barsss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Voltage Reducer Wiring

Having a tough time starting the wiring process of my voltage reducer. The cart is an 2001 EZGO PDS. Want the voltage reducer to turn on when I turn the key switch on. But the problem I seem to be having is that the Key switch does not have 36 volts until you put the cart in Forward or Reverse. There is 36 volt all the time at the center post on the F/R switch. So if I wire it to the key switch every time I change from Forward to Reverse the power to accessories will be shut off. I know I am just overlooking some thing.

My plan is to run the switch to the solenoid which will turn on the reducer and supply accessories with 12 volt.

Items pictured are what I have,

Thanks in advance for the help, Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage Reducer.jpg (24.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Blue Seas Fuse Block.jpg (8.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Solenoid.jpg (6.5 KB, 15 views)
barsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
barsss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage Reducer Wiring

Think I figured it out. I also have a 3 position key switch, have not put in yet(one with the light position on it). I can use the light position like an accessory position to supply 36 volt to the solenoid which will turn on voltage reducer. Then just add a couple of toggle switches so that I can turn on\off things that I don't want to run.

Sounds right just have to wire.

Bryan
Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
jdub
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So how did the wiring situation turn out? I'm tryin to decide which way to go on adding accessories to my cart. I want to add aux light on the front, a work/backup light on the rear, electric dump, etc and am searching for the proper way to do it.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do NOT attempt to wire power to a standard single position key switch!!! The 2 position key switch is what you want, if you don't like toggles. There is no need to wire the reducer to a switch, however - they themselves have no voltage draw. Only the accessories need to be switched

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
barsss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Bought a 2 position key switch, 2nd position of key switch triggers a 36 volt solenoid to supply voltage to reducer. 12 volt out of reducer goes into fuse block. Then I have many circuits to supply power to accessories. Everything is installed and working great.

Hope this helps you Jdub

Also thanks for the input Mikesmotortoys

Bryan
Old 11-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Interesting setup Sounds like you're running a small town on that thing

I've never thought of setting a solenoid up for the reducer. Why did you do this? Saftey? Protection? You have sparked my interest here

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
barsss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I guess just like when you run any relay, you don't want load running thru factory wiring so I turn on the solenoid with the smaller gauge wire and that let me use a large gauge wire from battery thru solenoid and than into the reducer. Then ran 12 volt from reducer to a Blue Sea Fuse Block. I am sure you being in the business think overkill, but just wanted to be sure done right.

Just want to say thanks for being a business owner who is willing to help people with their questions.

Bryan
Old 12-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #8
markobaldo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Do NOT attempt to wire power to a standard single position key switch!!! The 2 position key switch is what you want,
I realize this thread is old, but I’m about to wire a converter and could use your help. I was going to connect a relay to a single-position key switch, then connect the relay to energize the converter. Any reason not to?
Thanks
markobaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I went with a dedicated relay activated by key switch.
Not sure what the solenoid is rated for and whether it can handle additional load
for extended periods, but in theory your using it as a relay opposed to using a dedicated 20’or 30 amp ( what’re ever size reducer you have)rely.

Useing separate relay can also make future trouble shooting easier should it be needed 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO