lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Default Crank siezed on Marathon

Just bought a 1988 EZ Go Marathon with the 244cc robin engine. I thought I stole it at $300 as it was a golf club car it's whole life and is in great shape with new tires. It had a bad battery I put one in today rode it for about 5 minutes and it locked up on me. I pulled the engine and the cylinder is fine and so is the connecting rod bearing but the crank is stuck. I figure I lost a crank bearing. I believe what happened is the oil injection pump failed or I noticed the bracket that held the cables on the bolts came off the mount and maybe the cable was not pulling the injection properly. Either way I am just going to switch to premix. So what is a guy to do in my position? Can I just buy crank bearings? Does anyone maybe have a replacement engine for cheap? Thanks in advance.
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Crank siezed on Marathon

I would imagine the crank has sustained some damage. Check out the site sponsors for rebuild kits and related parts. I'm not real good at these two smokers but more help will come.. Pre-mix is the way to go..
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
bauschracing
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Lots of rebuild kits on ebay and lots of support on this website. Rebuild kit has all seals, new head, piston and rings, and crank. Should be able to completly rebuild for about $400.
bauschracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi oachs83 we had a boat motor do that once, some one forgot to put oil in the gas, we pulled the plug and filled the plug hole with motor oil and let it sit overnight, we pulled the start rope the next morning and it turned over, so we cleaned all the oil out and put gas oil mix in it and it fired right up ran for years, might be worth a try, Good Luck
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

I took it down to the crank and the two clutch side bearings were destroyed. To make matters worse I accidently cracked the side cover where the fan shroud bolts to. It has nothing to do with the crankcase but it is the part behind the carburetor the backside of the fan shroud. Could a guy just JB weld the crack? I really only bought the cart for one weekend of use in 4 weeks and planned to sell it after that. Ther is a small groove in the crankshaft where the bearings rest but honestly $400 is not near my budget for a complete rebuild kit. If someone had a engine they would sell for a fair price or atleast a good bottom end I would really appreciate it. Thank You
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
sprint11r0
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

JB weld does some wonderful things. If it's not structural, give it a try. I picked up a ATV once real cheap after someone finally decided to change the oil and busted out the case where the drain plug was. Some JB weld and a 3/8 bolt to fill the hole worked out great. I had it like that for around six years before some jerk figured he needed it worse than I. Or at least needed the drugs he could trade it for. But I'm not bitter.

We just picked up a Marathon last week for my dad that was froze up. (Although against good advice not to. But, we gambled) Read Popatop's advice Monday. Filled the crankcase with some used motor oil Tuesday. Now it rolls just fine. We have the jug off of it right now. Going to tear it the rest of the way tomorrow. Don't expect the crank to be bad. But I guess we'll see. But, if the crank is good, I found all the parts individually to put it back together. gaskets, main bearings, rod bearings and rings for less than $70. Plus shipping. I understand your budget constraints. Hope this helps.
Doug
sprint11r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
chance
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i got a complete motor (robbins from a 1991) but dont know the cc's on it as the label is half gone and havent investigated it any further. if you are close to atlanta, georgia we could work something out. if not, shipping would be expensive.

Also, i have no idea what kind of condition the bottom end is in. engine doesnt seem to have hardly any compression, so im sure the rings are shot, possibly piston/cylinder
chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO