lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
itllrun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Smaller shaft on cc axle?

I was doing homework on my 91 cc big block project today and when looking at the transmission on the axle I saw there is a second shaft seperate from the forward and reverse selector. My cart had no motor installed in it when I got it and this is just loose. So my question is what is it and what do I do with it. From looking over some of the parts diagrams it looks to be some form of govenor?

Thanks ahead of time!
itllrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
itllrun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Smaller shaft on cc axle?

I guess I will try to answer my question. From what a Club Car place told me it is a wheel speed govenor and at a certain speed weights will push against the shaft and push against the throttle to keep the speed down. So just trying to see what you guys have done with this or just leave it disconnected?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most people don't use a governor, but some do. All carts use a governor in the trans, it works like the one in an engine of a lawnmower....but being in the trans it lets the engine run at any throttle until cart speed is reached. The engine runs the CVT and can run any gearing or RPM it lets it run, until max speed is reached. Due to the transmission an engine governor would not work right, but can limit max rpm and you can use one....stock carts usually put a limiter in the ignition in case of over-rev, which never happens unless you disable the governor in the trans or blow a belt, etc., maybe get it stuck in mud or snow.

All you do is run a spring on the throttle cable and it stretches when the governor pulls against the throttle cable, the cart no longer goes faster. If you adjust it tighter it pulls harder, you can shorten the life of cables if you keep it but set it faster. Larger tires gear it up so it will go faster at same setting.

It is a good idea to have if kids ride the cart, or inebriated people, etc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
jtweet
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just cut mine off during a gear swap in the rear end. Previously it was not hooked up to anything in my EZ-GO w/ a 24hp Honda
jtweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
itllrun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for your replies. I actually ordered my cam and rev kit today and the cam will be without govenor. I will probbaly just take the arm off the shaft and let it just be. I just wanted to make sure it was not going to hurt anything in the rear. Is there a need for a limiter or a govenor or will it really rev over the 5000 rpms when in motion on the cart?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!