lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default $300 to $400 and get 26 MPH

After reading many threads I decided I wanted to try my hand at adding more speed to my 2006 Precedent. When I purchased it from a Club Car dealer it was "Like" a Gold Standard" except they did it themselves. Speed Code 4 was part of the deal as well. When I got it in November they didn't receive from Club Car the upgrade to Code 4 so I used it while it was on the 14.6 MPH setting. With the 22x11x10 tires I was getting a solid 18.9 MPH. When I finally got the speed code 4 I only got a bit more speed, 20.4 consistent. I read about one member here that did a AllTrax Controller, ($400,) first and got around 20-21MPH. Then he exchanged his stock motor for a Plum Quick Motor upgrade and got 26.1 MPH with stock #6 wires. So I figured that since Plum Quick Motors for IQ’s come with Regen braking disabled and a Speed Code 4, (around $100 if you had a dealer do it for you,) I’d see what I could get in top speed and hopefully more torque. After just 1 hour on removal and install combined, following Robby Steen’s suggestions on removal and installation I got around my neighborhood block, mostly in the shape of a circle with no real straight away a solid 25.5 and peaking at 25.8. Trust me when I tell you if I had a straight away 26+MPH will be in the bag! My actual cost was $225 for the motor, $50 for No Core Exchange, (I’m keeping my original motor,) and $25 in shipping for a total of $300. So the way I figure it, going to a Speed Code 4 from the factory at around $100 and getting a Steen Plum Quick Motor for $300 you’ll get over 25MPH for around $400, the price of the AllTrax alone. The pedal response is amazing from a gentle slow to full out with no flat spots and tons of torque. And boy do I like the Regen turned off! I’m attaching some pictures as well. I can’t thank Robby enough for his time on the phone and addressing my concerns over stock wires, controller, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0876.jpg (84.9 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0878.jpg (47.9 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0880.jpg (46.2 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0882.jpg (74.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0885.jpg (64.9 KB, 252 views)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
scubabud

Club Car

Default Re: $300 to $400 and get 26 MPH

A few more pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0886.jpg (70.1 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0887.jpg (68.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0889.jpg (60.5 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0890.jpg (56.5 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0892.jpg (66.8 KB, 339 views)
Old 01-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
scubabud

Club Car

Wow, 77 views but not one response... oh well, anyway here is a picture to show that I just got the 26 MPH around my block. Will have to see what happens on the open road when we take our cart with us traveling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0897.jpg (53.8 KB, 351 views)
Old 01-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Scuba,
Well done, the purple dust sounds like it's working. I am surprised you're getting that speed, but with that combo. of speed setting #4 and a reworked PQ motor, and tires sounds like you're onto something. I think everyone is still experimenting with the Precedents, I, like you thought the controller upgrade like AR did was the way to go. Now there's options. Let me know when you want to race. LOL.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
scubabud

Club Car

BRS,

Thank you for your comments. I just figured to do the reverse to see what the PQ motor really could do with a stock controller and with its sensor modified along with no REGEN. I also felt that a wire upgrade wasn’t necessary at this point for the following reasons. I calculated using an online wire and resistance calculator, http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm that for up to 5 feet of #4 wire vs 5 feet of #6 wire the voltage drop at 400 amps is only .28 volts. The actual resistance between the 2 wires for a length of 5 feet is .0007 Ohms which is an extremely small difference. Even if the length was doubled I’m sure only a small gain could be realized. As far as the heat factor, resistance should play the biggest part and it’s minimal, (based on true Ohm calculations.) Now if I was using this cart in extreme situations such as WOT or in mud or hills I'd want to do everything I could to reduce heat for both controller and wiring.

Now for today’s quick run… heading into the wind it held on to high 24’s so I’ll assume that should be my bottom speed on level ground, worst case. Now may I ask what you get for speed out of your 95 CC before I accept your racing challenge? You’re more than welcome to test my CC anytime since you’re in the area.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Scuba,
Thanks, I would like to see your cart. I can't wait to start fixing up my Precedent, but I think it may wait a while (till kids get older and better at driving). My 95CCDS runs a solid 26 and small inclines really don't slow it down. It has alot of torque for a high speed motor, I'll thank the controller for that. I'm always looking for some places to go trail riding, keep your eyes open.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Airjack
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Very nice!!!
Airjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Denny Crane
Not Yet Wild

Scuba,

Sweet battery meter! Where can I get one like yours?
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Scuba,

Sweet battery meter! Where can I get one like yours?
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ

Hopefully this link will take you to eBay where I purchased mine. If not use this text in their search engine to find it, "New 48V FORKLIFT/GOLF CART/SCOOTER BATTERY GAUGE/METER". They also sell one for 36 volt applications.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Denny Crane
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...romZR40QQ_mdoZ

Hopefully this link will take you to eBay where I purchased mine. If not use this text in their search engine to find it, "New 48V FORKLIFT/GOLF CART/SCOOTER BATTERY GAUGE/METER". They also sell one for 36 volt applications.

Good luck!
Thanks Bud !!!
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car