lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
DanaC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Help in little words? EXGO losing power on hills,

Ok guys, I know I have a learning curve but I'm working on it. My cart is my legs, since I have leg issues. So it's a big deal. It's a precision drive cart 36 volt 2004 maybe. I have had it 3 years.
I screwed up and didn't leave it plugged in over the winter. So I had to save up and get new batteries, they are a month old, the new voltage meter says they are charged to 6.2 and 6.3. Got a new charger.
It will go great with just me on the flat (I'm not fat at all). But any hills and it slows to a crawl and sometimes stops. There is no sound, no smell, no noise indicating an issue. I have cleaned the connectors and put nuts on them and they are tight. Is it possible a wire is on wrong? I took pictures before I changed the batteries (Boy those things are heavy!). I am outa money to throw at this thing honestly. But I sure miss it. I downloaded a wiring chart but it just confused me honestly. Any suggestions besides take it to a repair shop? Everything is hills around here. Please USE mansplaining LOL and little words...
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help in little words? EXGO losing power on hills,

Sounds like you have a PDS drive system. If you do, the controller cover will have a Run/Tow switch on it and the F/R selector will be a rocker switch on the dash.

If it is a PDS, put the controller in diagnostic mode and listen for beeped error code when cart misbehaves. Text at bottom of attached label tells you how to put into diagnostic mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Can you connect a voltmeter to pack voltage(36 volt terminals) to measure voltage as it goes uphills under load?
That is most realistic load test you can do.

Also list what brand, amp. Batteries you have. There are cart specific batteries and there are deep cycle batteries,difference between the two.
That will help tell if there is a weak battery.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I like your attitude and I understand the frustration.
Contact me at cartsunlimited.net@gmail.com
Maybe I can help
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
DanaC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Can you connect a voltmeter to pack voltage(36 volt terminals) to measure voltage as it goes uphills under load?
That is most realistic load test you can do.

Also list what brand, amp. Batteries you have. There are cart specific batteries and there are deep cycle batteries,difference between the two.
That will help tell if there is a weak battery.��
Duracell cg2 golfcart batteries from Sam's. They were the 90.00 ones, it was those or nothing, but they are not even a month old and have been used twice for short runs. I don't know if they are deep cycle..? Where do I attach the voltmeter when going up hill?
Old 08-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
DanaC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Sounds like you have a PDS drive system. If you do, the controller cover will have a Run/Tow switch on it and the F/R selector will be a rocker switch on the dash.

If it is a PDS, put the controller in diagnostic mode and listen for beeped error code when cart misbehaves. Text at bottom of attached label tells you how to put into diagnostic mode.
I like your quote LOL, so true. Yes it's a PDS system, it has the run/tow switch (I always put it in tow when messing with it) and the rocker switch. Ok looking at the chart;

It hasn't stopped it just loses power until it crawls or stops on the hills.
No solenoid clicks or noises

I did the diagnostic mode, in run, key off (Key not in does that make a difference?) neutral to reverse 5 times, nothing, no noise no beep, nothing. Could it be too old? It's 36V. I don't know the exact age it doesn't fit any of the stuff online perfectly to find the year.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
DanaC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The only other weird thing is on the charger, it charger it blinks from red to green and the charger said that means bad battery BUT it seems to be charging fine. I tried to post a link to the pic of the cart and charger but it won't let me for 7 days.. :(
Old 08-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would check the battery voltages individually... you may have one that needs to be charged individually to catch it up to the rest in the pack... I use a 6V charger for that. If one of the batteries is showing a volt or two short, the whole pack will perform like bad batteries and the weak one will slowly take the others down
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #9
DanaC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolflt View Post
I would check the battery voltages individually... you may have one that needs to be charged individually to catch it up to the rest in the pack... I use a 6V charger for that. If one of the batteries is showing a volt or two short, the whole pack will perform like bad batteries and the weak one will slowly take the others down
I have repeatedly. The batteries are all new and have been unhooked and checked individually with a new voltmeter. Thank you for the idea though.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #10
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You actually don’t have to disconnect them to test them individually
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO