lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
JCBAS
Not Yet Wild

Default Stock Motor Capability

I tried using the search function first, but couldn’t find an answer. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I have a '95 EZ-GO TXT 36 volt series cart. 19" tires with no lift kit. We upgraded to 500A Alltrax controller, 400A HD solenoid, HD F&R switch and 4 gauge cables. The motor is still stock.

I want to use the cart for riding in the woods, but don't want to burn out the motor. I would need to climb hills that are about 20-25 degree slope for a distance of about 350 yards.

Thoughts on if the stock motor is good for that kind of hill?
JCBAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stock Motor Capability

Which drive system does your cart have, Series or DCS?

Model of Alltrax controller will tell us.

Stock motor for either drive system ought to be okay.

You mentioned HD F/R switch, so my guess is a series drive.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
JCBAS
Not Yet Wild

It is a series cart. I bought all the upgrades from Scotty B.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
JCBAS
Not Yet Wild

If I did upgrade the motor, opinions or thoughts on the AMD Beast vs. Plum Quick Riddler?
Old 07-18-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

your motor will handle it, no problem......the fact that you are still running 36v is holding you back some....in fact the stock motor will handle 48v no problem, and that jump to 48v is a very common upgrade and will get you 33% more speed and torque out of your stock motor. seeing as how you already upgrded the drive system....other then new batteries, OR 2 more 6v's that you could put in the bagwell....you would only need a 48v charger and the new resister and diode for you solenoid. you can get every thing you need from scotty.....and I personally would recomend getting 2ga cables.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
JCBAS
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. The only reason we haven’t upgraded to 48 volt is because we bought the cart last summer and at that time the batteries were only 1 year old. So when it came to money for upgrades we figured the money was better spent on controller, solenoid etc rather than batteries and new charger. I thought of adding batteries, but there is only room under the seat for one more battery which would only make a 42 volt. When we need to replace batteries we will upgrade to 48 volt.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'd try running the stock at 48V before investing in a motor and find out what type motor is needed, if one is needed.

If the tires are truly 19" tall (The numbers on the sidewalls may be off by an inch or more in either direction - so measure them.) then you are only loosing
5.3% of the available torque. BUT, if they are the low pressure (less than 10 PSI max inflation pressure), the effective torque loss is greater.

Also, does cart have rear seat?

What kind of speed do you want vs hill climbing?
Old 07-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #8
JCBAS
Not Yet Wild

I’ll have to measure the tires, I was just going off what the sidewall says. I keep the tires at 15 psi during the fall/winter for deer hunting (that’s when I need to climb hills). The cart does not have a rear seat, it has a utility box. I don’t care about speed, stock speed is fine with me.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Placing a level on top of the tire and using a yard stick to measure the distance to the pavement, is close enough for most purposes.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Point your valve stem straight down, marking a spot on the floor with chaulk, roll the cart one rotation until valve is pointed down again, mark floor again, measure that distance. Take the number you just found & divide it by 3.14159 and you will get a good number for how tall your tire is.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO