lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Total Cost Leaf RXV Lithium Swap

I wish I had access to tools like that! I have a pretty good shop with many hand tools but nothing that can deal with metal work. I build model planes and guitars - neither require large machine tools. I can build anything electronic though.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2020, 08:43 AM   #12
ejcox811
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboehm21 View Post
That is an awesome write up... Thank you. Thats about what the numbers in my head were telling me but I wanted to make sure. How many hours do you think you have in the install?
I got the battery put together and dropped in the cart in an evening, maybe 4 hours or so (including plenty of beverage breaks). Taking the old batteries out was my least favorite part. I was able to reuse my 2ga battery cables for everything I needed. When I go back to put the floor in, wire up the 12v accessory battery, and clean things up I'm sure I'll spend a whole lot more time.

One tip- take your time putting the battery together and take extra precautions not to short circuit while assembling. Also use insulated tools (or wrap with electrical tape like I did). I had a close call when a bus bar swung around and shorted out 2 cells. Luckily I was able to get it off right away, but I don't think it would take long to weld itself in place. That would've been ugly.
ejcox811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #13
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I still have a wrench that was cut in half back when I worked on electric cars in the 70's. The tech working on the battery pack shorted one battery and it cut the wrench right in half. Even back then the Lead Acid battery pack we used could put out way more than 2000 amps if you shorted it. I use very light gauge wire for my BMS wires. These act like a fuse if you ever short out a cell. I am very careful to remove one of the main terminal connections whenever I work in my cart. I keep all of the connections covered where the bus bars go - my Leaf pack came with 3D printed covers.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:40 AM   #14
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Cost? .....Did someone say cost? Here's what it cost me to do my initial 7 module install. Last year I updated and added another 7 modules. No other cost than buying an additional 7 modules and re-assembling the pack. But remember....this spreadsheet was for the 7 module install:
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #15
BLK MAJK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Cost? .....Did someone say cost? Here's what it cost me to do my initial 7 module install. Last year I updated and added another 7 modules. No other cost than buying an additional 7 modules and re-assembling the pack. But remember....this spreadsheet was for the 7 module install:
This is a VERY helpful spreadsheet and I think I have read your conversion thread at least twice Dave. Its a HUGE wealth of info and will be awesome when I plan to do my swap this winter. The parts listed in your spreadsheet are proven reliable, well documented and supported. That being said, if someone wants to do it as cheap as possible and still be safe about it, Sergio has an awesome thread about doing a basic lithium conversion using parts from Aliexpress that can save a ton of money with a little extra effort/wiring. His thread can be found here.
BLK MAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #16
pboehm21
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the breakdown. That is awesome! I just had my batteries tested at 50 minutes run time, so may start this over the winter.
pboehm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO