lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Tunes on your Ride

Let's face it, if you've spent more than 5 minutes traveling on your cart you probably considered putting some tunes onboard. Desperate for some accompaniment, in a moment of weakness you probably zip-tied a boom box to the frame - or worse - dropped your smart phone into a cup holder and listened on the anemic built-in speakers. Yea, me too.

So I started looking for another option. They're out there. Overhead consoles, marine-grade car stereos (able to withstand moisture), Jensen even has a flat panel radio that is water resistant. All of these options came with impressive sticker shock! I just want tunes, not a 36V Lexus.

I'm probably not the first, but I'll write about it anyway. I found an option that cost me $41 COMPLETE. And the sound is equivalent to about a $41 boom box, not bad considering I didn't have to go "redneck" and velco a boom box to my cart.

On Amazon-dot-com I found a Waterproof Motorcycle/ATV stereo kit for $41. Super small size, 12 volts, comes with 2 waterproof speakers, external antenna, and wiring. It has a built-in clock, an iPod (1/8") input jack, AND it has both a USB port and an SD card slot where it will play MP3s that you place on either of these memory devices. Lastly, it came with a small infrared wireless remote. Handy if you're beside or nearby the cart.

Other than a little cutting of plastic with a hot-knife, the installation was simple. In fact the parts of the kit fit so well... I almost felt like it was made for a Golf Cart. The speakers are completely enclosed "pods", so I didn't even have to worry about speaker enclosures. Just mount and go.

Hands down this is the BEST value and fit I have found for music in your golf cart without spending a fortune. And the sound... not too bad, considering. Think $41 dollar boom box... and you have an exact idea of the sound. Looks... well I think pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3263.jpg (408.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3269.jpg (385.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3272.jpg (331.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3278.jpg (402.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3271.jpg (279.2 KB, 90 views)
Canine_Rescue_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tunes on your Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine_Rescue_Pilot View Post
............I didn't have to go "redneck" and velco a boom box to my cart...........
We rednecks don't use that newfangled velcro stuff. We use tried and true "Duck" Tape where it's wet and "Duct" Tape where it's dry.

Since you're used to listening to ATC, a $41 boom box must sound pretty good.

Kidding aside, great find - neat installation.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

I needed a good laugh!
Maybe I'm selling it short in today's money... it's probably the sound of a $50 boom box.

You're right, ATC sounds more like the teacher from Peanuts.
I paid $900 for my ANR Lightspeed Zulu headset. (priorities, I suppose)
But I'm not paying that for a Golf Cart.

And hey... don't hate the Duct Tape!

...turning base, cleared to land.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
joemama16341
Gone Wild

Club Car

Great find I was about to order the whole overhead radio bracket and radio and speaker I think you just saved me a couple hundred buck ty
joemama16341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I wasn't already set up for mobile audio, I would DEFINITELY be looking into that unit! That is slick! I put an SD card capable stereo in my daily beater last year and I will NEVER go back to a CD player!
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

What an absolutely awsome contribution. I never would have given much thought to a cycle radio system. Thanks Pilot
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

I like that!! Very cool. I have the remote mp3 player in mine but I would have gotten one of those if I'd only known. Thanks for posting. I'm sure they will start appearing in carts.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I like it!

Not trying to highjack this thread, just offerin' some thoughts on mine, and things to consider.

FWIW,
I have an old school car tuner/CD player that does SD/USB/iPod,and Aux, and by far, the one that gets the most use is the 1/8" Aux. I have an iPod, but nearly everyone I ride with now has a smart phone with tunes on it, so popping their phone in the cup holder and plugging it in is a snap.

I hard wired my Aux extension cord, and covered it in wire loom, and keep it in my glove box, so I don't have to worry about storing a loose cord. I probably have 18", so it will easily reach the cupholder, and still allow riders enough slack to change tunes while seated. If I had to do it over again, I'd have made it a tad longer, so I can set my laptop on my seat and stream music at any hot-spot. However, I have an extension cord that will reach the rear seat, so we can watch movies, music videos, etc., at the fire pit.

While my photo shows the charger plugged in, in practice, I never use this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3066.jpg (202.7 KB, 49 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

I asked myself: "Self? Why did you make the radio stick out one half inch? I would have made it flush mounted."

Self said: "Because, Eric, the SD card slot and 1/8" iPod jack is positioned on the underside of the front panel on the radio and covered with a rubber plug to protect it." "If you had mounted it flush, you would not have been able to plug things in to these two jacks."

I said: "Oh. Now I get it."

PS - The USB "jack" is actually a pigtail that hangs out of the back of the radio. It's short, but this complete kit also came with a USB extension cord. It's a little clumsy, but it is usable. Remember... eyes on the prize: This whole kit was only $41 and it makes "ok" sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3280.jpg (77.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine_Rescue_Pilot View Post
I asked myself: "Self? Why did you make the radio stick out one half inch? I would have made it flush mounted."

Self said: "Because, Eric, the SD card slot and 1/8" iPod jack is positioned on the underside of the front panel on the radio and covered with a rubber plug to protect it." "If you had mounted it flush, you would not have been able to plug things in to these two jacks."

I said: "Oh. Now I get it."

PS - The USB "jack" is actually a pigtail that hangs out of the back of the radio. It's short, but this complete kit also came with a USB extension cord. It's a little clumsy, but it is usable. Remember... eyes on the prize: This whole kit was only $41 and it makes "ok" sound.
I'm glad self won that debate.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, ipod, music, radio, stereo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO