lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

Default Store electric Club Car for AZ hot summer

I am planning on leaving my golf cart in my garage all summer (5 months) when I leave AZ for cooler MN. Temperatures get up above 100 F . Should I put in an auto watering system or just disconnect the + cable from the battery pack (48V). How about leaving the charger connected? Its a Club Car DS 1998. Or should I sell the electric and buy a Gas Cart? First time I am leaving the cart sit all summer.
jhp1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Store electric Club Car for AZ hot summer

jhp,

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but:

I have EXACTELY the same question. We are gonna leave soon for Colorado, and wonder what to do with our '05 Precedent.

We have a south facing garage & it will easly get up to 120 degrees!

Any help or advise would be appreciated

Dave
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Store electric Club Car for AZ hot summer

both cases give your batteries a full charge and than disconnect your main pos and neg cables.......you should be fine.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

if it were my cart, i would top off the water and leave the cart plugged into a maintainer/float charger. the powerdrive/obc combos are supposed to come on every 14 days to top off the batteries, but im not sure if i would trust it for 5 months unattended. my 2¢ fwiw.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

In my area of semi tropical Texas most Winter Texans do following for summer months with 48 volt Club Car STOCK Power Drive charger ( 36 volt Club Car charger isnt automatic so leaving hooked up wont work )
1- washing all dirt and dust off cart body ( coat of wax helps also )
2- put treatment on seat covers, and tires so wont dry out during storage
3-jack all 4 wheels off ground and block under the frame to not have tires touching ( keep from flat spots on tread )
4- make sure emergency brake is not left applied
5- check distilled water level on all batterys
6- clean and spray cable connections with auto anti corrosion spray
7- Hook up charger Club Car Power Drive charger and leave connected
8- have some local trustworthy person check on distilled water level at least once a month, and confirm charger still powered
9- cover cart with breathable cover to keep dust and dirt off ( plastic will hold moisture and cause mold etc )
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
In my area of semi tropical Texas most Winter Texans do following for summer months with 48 volt Club Car STOCK Power Drive charger ( 36 volt Club Car charger isnt automatic so leaving hooked up wont work )
1- washing all dirt and dust off cart body ( coat of wax helps also )
2- put treatment on seat covers, and tires so wont dry out during storage
3-jack all 4 wheels off ground and block under the frame to not have tires touching ( keep from flat spots on tread )
4- make sure emergency brake is not left applied
5- check distilled water level on all batterys
6- clean and spray cable connections with auto anti corrosion spray
7- Hook up charger Club Car Power Drive charger and leave connected
8- have some local trustworthy person check on distilled water level at least once a month, and confirm charger still powered
9- cover cart with breathable cover to keep dust and dirt off ( plastic will hold moisture and cause mold etc )
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys - I have been looking at an auto water system for the batteries and leaving the charger connected. I found one web site that includes a 2.5 gallon gravity feed system for around 200 plus includes the 4 inputs per battery times 6 plus enough tubing to put the 2.5 gallons up 4 feet? Would that be enough water for the summer? I have a neighbor that checks the house once a month. It would be easy for him to just check the water level in the 2.5 gallon jug rather than check each battery. Is this workable? Just bought the batteries. Should have waited until spring.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

I think the water in the batteries will be less likely to evaporat , then the 2.5 gal. in the system.
I mean AZ is dry (how do U keep it from evaporating).
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Store electric Club Car for AZ hot summer

THAKS for the reply's & advise!

jhp1940: Are you in Phoenix? The water in Phoenix is awful! Don't forget to use distilled water.

Dave
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

I am directly west of Phoenix. I would use distilled water to replenish the batteries, but don't have a clue how much water the batteries would use in the 5 month summer season. I am thinking it would be much less than 2 1/2 gallons even if I kept the charger connected for the summer. As I said I have a 1998 Club Car Electric DS with a charger that I believe will come on automatically if the charge falls below a certain level. And If I supply a constant supply of water to replenish the batteries I think I will be OK. But there is a snag I think. All the guys that know say that water level goes down as charge depletes? Or is it the other way around? Does water level increase as a battery charges? I don't want to come back to a cart that has battery supports eaten away by battery acid. need help?? 2 glasses of wine not helping the thinking process. SInce batteries are brand new I am thinking I could just disconnect the pos and Neg cables and forget it.

Tags
battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car