lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Raised by shackles for 22" tires

. . . after seeing the pics, my guess is that you can not lift the rear any higher because you are at the extent of the shock's travel . . . you "could" add stud extenders to the piston rod on the shocks to gain the extra travel you need to get into the last hole on your shackles . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
El Camino
Gone Wild
Club Car

You should be able to get the shock stud extenders at Advanced Auto were you got the shackles. Be sure you spray the top of the shocks with rust buster (2 or 3 time) the day before you try to remove they.
El Camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm sure that the shocks are probably original to the cart. If I decide I need to raise it anymore, I will likely just see if I can find a longer substitute. I like the way the cart sits as it is currently. If it doesn't rub anymore (I added air to the tires) then I am going to leave it as is. The wife thinks it's neat. I might try that idea someone else suggested regarding the use of rubber cove molding as fender flares. The tires only stick out about an inch and a half.

Note: The only way to remove the top bolts on the shackles was to either remove the body to get to them, or drill access holes in the body to pull the bolts thru. I drilled the holes. The holes will be covered back up once I replace the bagwell liner. I plan to paint it today before replacing it, and pick up some new fasteners also.

These shackles were made for cars or trucks so they are heavy duty. I doubt there is any way they could be bent in any abuse of the cart. I bet the spring would break first. Not a bad way to lift the cart for under $20.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Fishwater
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just checked my cart & I have straight aluminum shackles as well, not sure if they are stock since I just picked this cart up but they match the ones listed in Golf Cart King. They list the offset shackles for gas carts & the straight shackles for electric.
Fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok, so the tires rub when I make sharp turns, when I have another person in the cart. It only rubs on the right side, but it is annoying. A couple of you suggested using stud extenders on the shocks. I am now considering this idea, but I am not sure which ones to request at the local auto parts store. I would rather not take the shocks completely off if I can just add the studs to one end. I don't know anything about using stud extenders, so this may sound a bit lame, but can these be used on the bottom of the shock, or only on the top? I am going to have to raise the cart to the last adjustment hole on the shackle.

So, here's the question: Which extender would I ask for to fit my (presumably) stock rear shocks?

By the way, those knobby tires are very/very noisy. It looks like my wife may want me to replace them with street tires. We only use the cart on hard surface, so I guess I will be searching for 22" tire replacements.

I noticed on another thread that someone mentioned taking the shocks off completely. I assume that is only for HD springs and not for the stock spring?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #16
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

There are plenty of choices for tires.You can even get a tire very similar to your originals but in 22".If the sidewalls are rubbing,maybe drop back to a 22"x10"-8",it will be a touch narrower,and you won't have to run the pressure as high.For the shock extenders,You need to know what thread the shock-stud is(ex. 3/8-16)Take the shock with you,and a parts-store should be able to match the extenders for you.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
There are plenty of choices for tires.You can even get a tire very similar to your originals but in 22".If the sidewalls are rubbing,maybe drop back to a 22"x10"-8",it will be a touch narrower,and you won't have to run the pressure as high.For the shock extenders,You need to know what thread the shock-stud is(ex. 3/8-16)Take the shock with you,and a parts-store should be able to match the extenders for you.Hope this helps.
Yes, it helps, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the shocks off. I thought maybe someone might know the thread size on the stock shocks so I could purchase the extenders before taking it apart. I also hope that the extender can be installed on the bottom rather than the top so that I won't have to take the body off to get to the top of the shock. If I have to take the body off, I might as well purchase new shocks.

Yes, I will probably have to purchase new tires. The spouse doesn't like the attention that the noisy knobbies cause her. It seems that there are not as many options for 8" tires as there is for 10 or 12" wheels. I have to do my upgrades on the cheap right now, because she wants some remodeling done to the house.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Take one of the nuts off the shock and bring it to a parts-store.They can match the threads from the nut for your extenders.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Take one of the nuts off the shock and bring it to a parts-store.They can match the threads from the nut for your extenders.
Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks.

I'll have to do that next week. I found a buyer for two of my Harleys at my other home in NC, so I'm flying up there tomorrow. Once that is taken care of, I am going to ride my Harley Softail back down here to Florida. Now, if the rain will hold off and allow me a good ride.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . after seeing the pics, my guess is that you can not lift the rear any higher because you are at the extent of the shock's travel . . . you "could" add stud extenders to the piston rod on the shocks to gain the extra travel you need to get into the last hole on your shackles . . .
I have no idea why I didn't even consider that before. I did exactly that, installed shock extenders and I was able to move the leaf spring to the last hole in the shackle....duhh! Now, I not only have plenty of clearance, but the golf cart handles better. It no longer sways when making turns. Now it rides nice, even if it is still a bit noisy due to the knobby 22" tires.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car