lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
KtownCC
Not Yet Wild

Default Bringing 81 DS Back To Life

I recently bought a 1981 DS that belonged to a family friend that had been sitting for a couple of years. The batteries were stolen and it was not used last season (lake campground rig). I am currently in the process of renovating the old girl and learning more about golf carts than I thought I ever would.

When I picked the cart up it was green.....after a good pressure washing it came out a shade of white. It had decals that had to be stripped and the finish came off as well. At this point I decided it was going to get a paint job and the project began...

I started disassembling the cart and I am cleaning and refreshing one thing after another as I go. This isn't going to be a showpiece but I think when i am finished it will be a good campground crawler.

I have no "before" pics (wish I had snapped some) but here are a few in progress.....pardon the excess mess, this is happening at my shop.

KtownCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
KtownCC
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Bringing 81 DS Back To Life

I am no expert in this area so I hope this is going to turn out. I used a stripper to take off the remaining finish and after some prep I am going to paint. This is after the stripping, as you can see the front cowl is in kinda rough shape and has a couple of extra holes that will be filled....

This is after a decent cleaning and an undercoating of the battery trays. Can someone confirm the drivetrain for me? I have heard that some of these had Fuji's and some had another type, I have no clue.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
KtownCC
Not Yet Wild

This was day 3...... cut holes for the light kit and did some sanding. I filled the holes on the front cowl with JB quik (after this pic) and will sand tomorrow before priming. I will add a few pics in the next couple of days as I get a little further along (if I don't get too busy with actual work, lol).

Old 03-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
Zenzilla
Getting Wild

Club Car

Talking Re: Bringing 81 DS Back To Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtownCC View Post
This was day 3...... cut holes for the light kit and did some sanding. I filled the holes on the front cowl with JB quik (after this pic) and will sand tomorrow before priming. I will add a few pics in the next couple of days as I get a little further along (if I don't get too busy with actual work, lol).

Looking good I am doing an 88 cc :) what light kit did you get and what's your plans to do the wiring? Thanks
Zenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
DrDamaged
Not Yet Wild

Nice one! What color are you painting it.
DrDamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
KtownCC
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzilla View Post
Looking good I am doing an 88 cc :) what light kit did you get and what's your plans to do the wiring? Thanks
I got it on eBay, I will have to tweak it a little with heat but it should snug up nicely. I am going to get a voltage reducer and just route the wires as inconspiciously as possible.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
KtownCC
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDamaged View Post
Nice one! What color are you painting it.
Thanks.

I am painting it graphite gray to match my truck, may be a little corny but I am doing it anyway.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
KtownCC
Not Yet Wild

I got a little more accomplished to day, didn't have much time. Took the heat gun to the old black plastic pieces to bring them back to life a little. I was thinking about replacing them all but decided to cheap out. I figure that my 8 yr old daughter will add a few more scuffs to them as she is learning how to drive it.

Amazing what a heat gun will do......

Then I got the front end back together, I took the steering shaft out to paint it and had to put a new "boot" around the shaft behind the dash.

I also got the rear section primed and sanded the front down where I filled the holes. It is ready for some filler then time to prime.

If I am boring anyone, I apologize. The reason I chose to do pics and post it up was mainly accountability on my part. I figure if I am updating regularly then I will have no choice but to get in gear and get this done. Til next time.....
Old 03-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
rockhill
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am in process of retrofitting a 85 so is of interest to me. Waiting on suspension parts now, then will tackle body work.Probably have it painted as that is above my pay grade
rockhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Fishwater
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Your not boring anyone, we all love build pics! Keep up the good work.
Fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car