lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Re: club car radio install

Yuny, when you say it actually stays on using power, do you mean something like the display with a clock or something? If you kill juice to that function, you will never be able to save the time and radio preset settings - but perhaps you don't care about that. My Kenwood doesn't stay lit or anything but it does save settings. But I have mine wired to its own battery instead of the pack or a reducer. This function doesn't draw much juice but I do try to keep the battery fresh with a tender.

The one diagram this thread doesn't include is a cart with a dedicated accessory battery. I guess one could easily deduce that setup by using an existing diagram however.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
crash test dummy

i assume you are talking about the power going to the memory for the radio
yes you can use a switch in line to kill all the power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post

The one diagram this thread doesn't include is a cart with a dedicated accessory battery. I guess one could easily deduce that setup by using an existing diagram however.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
crash test dummy

FYI i run an extra 12v battery here is the wiring diagram for my cart

Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Billy Hale
Not Yet Wild

On mine i installed a main power switch.It cuts power to the radio and the plug for the power point (cigarette lighter) for when the cart is not in use. i also put a switch for the radio illumination. so at night when the main power switch is on and the radio is off the face of the radio is still lit if i want it lit. i am also useing a separate 12 v battery for my power source.
Billy Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
Yuny
Not Yet Wild

Thank you SaltLife, yes I am talking about the display with the clock, it stays lit therefore it is wasting power. Is it possible to wire it the ignition switch so that when I turn the key to off, it also kills the power to the radio. Crash I already thought about that but it would be another switch and that is what I am trying to avoid, more switches. I just want it to work like in a car, you turn it off and it turns off but keeps the time and memory saved. Thank you for your response.
Yuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
Yuny
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
FYI i run an extra 12v battery here is the wiring diagram for my cart

Wow, that looks like a regular car Too complicated for me.
Yuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
crash test dummy

thats why they call it a club CAR !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuny View Post
.. Is it possible to wire it the ignition switch so that when I turn the key to off, it also kills the power to the radio. Crash I already thought about that but it would be another switch and that is what I am trying to avoid, more switches. I just want it to work like in a car, you turn it off and it turns off but keeps the time and memory saved. Thank you for your response.
NO if you kill all the power you lose the memory ... lets try this yuny
tell s type of radio, type of cart and how you want to hook it up ..like 12v battery or reducer or direct to pack
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuny View Post
Thank you SaltLife, yes I am talking about the display with the clock, it stays lit therefore it is wasting power. Is it possible to wire it the ignition switch so that when I turn the key to off, it also kills the power to the radio. Crash I already thought about that but it would be another switch and that is what I am trying to avoid, more switches. I just want it to work like in a car, you turn it off and it turns off but keeps the time and memory saved. Thank you for your response.
Yuny, most aftermarket radios have 2 power wires - one for main power and one for constant power. Sounds like you are referring to the constant power wire and if you switch it, the radio cannot remember your settings because it doesn't have the juice to do it. So, you really can't have it both ways. The constant power is a drain but very little. Some radios "go black" when turned off but still retain the memory. Sounds like you have one that still has a display even when powered off at the main. Odd, but I suppose possible. Check your radio manual to see if there is an option to turn that function off.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
crash test dummy

Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
That's exactly my setup except that I'm running my 12v power and ground from the battery to the points in the battery bay that normally get connected to the 12v source coming off of the pack. I did it that way because I already had my lights and radio wired to the sources behind the dash and didn't want to rerun all of that. I believe TahoeDawg helped me with that way back when.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car