lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #21
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 txt surges when pedal pressed

In post #13 you mention the cart starts rolling if you tap on the ITS. Have you checked the connections on the ITS and from the ITS to the controller? I would look real close in this area.

I have an old 1999 cart that did the exact same thing. I thought it might be the ITS so I substituted it with another and did not fix it. Next day I got on the cart to try it out and it operated normally. About a week later it started jerking when pedal depressed but it was raining so parked it. Next day the rain quit and it operated normally. It still acts up from time to time usually when it is raining but not when I got time to look at it. I finally decided it was the controller but it went back to work before I could prove anything. I will eventually find the trouble. Rainy weather seems to affect it.

Maybe JohnnieB remembers where some of my voltage measurements are posted. There is a small voltage (about a volt or two) that appears across the ITS when the pedal is depressed and increases as the pedal is depressed further. The source of this voltage comes from the controller as shown on the diagram and the ITS changes it slightly when pedal depressed. This is the best way to start checking things.

You got to make sure the cart don't take off when working on this part. Jack up the rear wheels and point the front to a pole or something so it won't take off and run over somebody it falls off the jack. I use old tooth brushes to clean corrosion. I would guess you have a bad ITS, a wire connection, leakage from corrosion or a bad controller or something else. Good luck.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2014, 03:08 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zroadrage View Post
Ok so I was checking things on it and it started working. Ride around neighborhood for 20 min and all good except for occasionally acting sluggish. Then it just quits. Acted like the batteries went dead all of a sudden but indicator said otherwise. However the usage did seem high. It used about 25% in that time but indicator could be off some idk. Any ideas? It just ADR (ain't doing right)
Do yourself and your batteries a favor and install a DVM type battery meter.
In the interim, connect a handheld DVM to the battery pack.

I think a starting point would be cleaning all that crap off the top of the controller. It isn't waterproof, so remove all the cables and wires and use a damp rag.

Here is a service manual for a different cart body that has the same type drive system as your cart (Section H).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf me5,5 passenger,electric,28397G01RS.pdf (17.31 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #23
zroadrage
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok cleaned contacts. Checked the meter readings and ran test in manual you gave me. It's the controller. Should I get the same one or the original? I have a 90 model with a different controller. Would it work. Thanks for the manual Johnnie b
zroadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok cleaned contacts. Checked the meter readings and ran test in manual you gave me. It's the controller. Should I get the same one or the original? I have a 90 model with a different controller. Would it work. Thanks for the manual Johnnie b
Personally, I'd install an Alltrax AXE4845 or AXE4855 in it. The 4845 is a 400A controller, which is the same ampacity as the Curtis 1205-117 that is in it now. The standard series controller used in a TXT is only 275A and the one in the 1990 cart is probably 300A or less. The 4855 is a 500A controller.

You might want to look into the Alltrax SPM line of controllers. That is the latest technology.

One of the advantages of both the AXE and SPM controllers is that they are user programmable, so you can tune them for your needs.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #25
zroadrage
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Is there somewhere you'd suggest getting one from. I don't want to over pay for one. I was hoping to get a new one for $250-350
zroadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Is there somewhere you'd suggest getting one from. I don't want to over pay for one. I was hoping to get a new one for $250-350
I bought my Controller, Solenoid, Cables, DVM Battery meter, DPI Charger, D&D Motor and some other goodies from scottyb at: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

However, any of the site sponsors would be a reliable source.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO