lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
jfreeman7777
Not Yet Wild

Default Marathon won't run

New to site and new to troubleshooting golfcarts just used to charging it and and running the snot out of it. Can build 18 speed transmissions but can't figure this dang cart out go figure. Ok got 1994 ezgo marathon series with speed controller. Has ran fine for 13 years all of a sudden just stopped. Bought manual to troubleshoot started with the wiring checked good , checked solienoid checks good and clicks, checked pot box and no ohms so ordered new pot boxed installed and nothing no ohms. So called Scottieb very smart guy told me to check my multimeter did was bad got new one checked both pot boxes new and old both checked good with new meter. Talked to Scott we checked controller checked good. Told me to check motor so today I took all the wires off motor jumped a2 to s1 hooked cables to a1 and s2 cart run so motor is good right? So I'm lost don't know what to check next thanks in advance . Jeff
jfreeman7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
jfreeman7777
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Marathon won't run

So I did some more checking I was checking volts on the fnr switch had good volts on a-d terminals. meter probe accidentally hit the mounting bracket for the fnr switch and there is volts present on the fnr switch bracket that mounts it to the frame is this normal?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreeman7777 View Post
So I did some more checking I was checking volts on the fnr switch had good volts on a-d terminals. meter probe accidentally hit the mounting bracket for the fnr switch and there is volts present on the fnr switch bracket that mounts it to the frame is this normal?
If you are using a DVM, you are probably just measuring a phantom voltage.

Measure from the main negative terminal on the battery pack to the plastic tops of the batteries and you will probably measure voltage there also.

Cleaning the battery tops and sides and battery box with a backing soda solution and rinsing thoroughly may help, but might not completely eliminate it.

The good news is that your frame is not grounded (as it shouldn't be), or you would be measuring the phantom voltage.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
jfreeman7777
Not Yet Wild

ok thanks for the info going to clean and do some more checking will give update thanks
Old 06-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
jfreeman7777
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: Marathon won't run

Ok got everything cleaned up same thing will not run I guess I will start all over for the third time......theres got to be something I am missing any suggestions where should I start. im lost now because I have checked everything I know of thanks jeff
Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the solenoid clicks, the problem is in the high current circuit.

Jack up rear wheels off ground and put on jack-stands so half ton cart doesn't take off unexpectedly and run over someone or something.

Measure voltage between the B- and M- terminals on the controller.

It should be FULL battery pack voltage when the pedal is pushed just far enough for the solenoid to click.

If not, there is an open or high resistance in the high current loop.

The attached schematic has the high current loop highlighted. F/R is shown in F.

Follow the red highlighted cable connections with your voltmeter. When you find the missing voltage, you have found the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marathon - Controller Schematic - High Current Traced.JPG (146.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
jfreeman7777
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info johnnie I got 37.4 pack volts. When I check b- to m- I get 28.7 before pedal pushed about half throttle it goes to 0.0
Old 06-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreeman7777 View Post
Thanks for the info johnnie I got 37.4 pack volts. When I check b- to m- I get 28.7 before pedal pushed about half throttle it goes to 0.0
Find the missing 8.7 volts before going to the next troubleshooting step. (IE: Pushing the pedal)

Sounds like a dirty connection/contact or a bad cable.

Your battery pack is only about 80% SoC, so they ought to be charged. Sitting in a partially discharged state like that isn't good for your batteries.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
jfreeman7777
Not Yet Wild

Ok just got back to checking started at solenoid big + terminal has pack voltage of 37.3. Other big terminal is 30.0 so I am losing 7.3 across solenoid I thought it was only suppose to be a couple of volts difference because of the resistor? So does that mean the solenoid is bad since I have to much volt drop . Thanks
Old 06-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Stacey Toole
Not Yet Wild

sound like i got sim problem as you , what wires are a2 s1 a1 s2i i have meter to check i know i got 2 big wire n 2 little wires
Stacey Toole is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO