lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Motor/controller????

I know what I want...push on the gas pedal and go down the road...don't care about regen braking or anything else...I know the Star uses a 0 to 5K throttle but other than that it doesn't need to be SepEx motor just anything that is compatable...I know my cart by the serial number is suppose to be 36v and if that would save some money then that would work for me. I also am capable of pulling and rebuilding the existing motor...so I do have options that most do not. When I checked with a Curtis controller rebuilder they told me the controller could be rebuilt back in their facility in Pa. They also said they could test it out of the cart. I did get a wiring print of sorts for my cart by the serial number and that is when I found out it was 36v from the factory. Somebody had changed the controller to a Curtis 1268 which is 48v and I bought it NOT running so I have been working on sorting out just what basket of problems I bought....fortunately I didn't pay much for it and can do the work myself.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Scooby3739
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Motor/controller????

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
I know what I want...push on the gas pedal and go down the road...don't care about regen braking or anything else...I know the Star uses a 0 to 5K throttle but other than that it doesn't need to be SepEx motor just anything that is compatable...I know my cart by the serial number is suppose to be 36v and if that would save some money then that would work for me. I also am capable of pulling and rebuilding the existing motor...so I do have options that most do not. When I checked with a Curtis controller rebuilder they told me the controller could be rebuilt back in their facility in Pa. They also said they could test it out of the cart. I did get a wiring print of sorts for my cart by the serial number and that is when I found out it was 36v from the factory. Somebody had changed the controller to a Curtis 1268 which is 48v and I bought it NOT running so I have been working on sorting out just what basket of problems I bought....fortunately I didn't pay much for it and can do the work myself.
I'm in the same boat as you. I got my cart not running too. I dont care about all the fancy stuff just want it to go down the road.
Scooby3739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #13
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Motor/controller????

I did email Alltrax and the tech says the issue is an adapter plug that adapts the Star golf cart wiring harness to the standard Alltrax plug. This seems to be what is causing the problem with availability of controllers. Curtis has a company back in Carslile, Pa. that can not only test but rebuild the controller that we have in our cart. The exact Curtis controller was made to Star's specs as an OEM supplier but they didn't make many extras and there was enough failures that those are long gone. So it is possible, with enough knowledge, to fit any basic controller to any cart as long as you know what type of throttle input you have and where every wire has to go...that being said some of that info is hard to come by and you wouldn't want to make a mistake. I have a couple of other people working on this to see what can be done and I will keep you posted.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay