lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
KazooAuto
Not Yet Wild

Default Don’t know where to go from here!

Hey there peeps.
So I’ve got a G2 that I parked 2 years ago. It was getting boggy and burning/leaking oil. Finally got around to tearing it apart and put in new crankshaft seal, head gasket and valve cover gasket. Put the motor back in and notta. Had spark and gas but would not start. Lots of popping and backfiring out of the card and what not.
I did a compression test and the guy holding the gauge said it only went to about ten psi.
After researching here, i prolly didn’t go full throttle like i should have.
So in the meantime I ordered rings and tore the motor back down to inspect further.
To me a novice, everything looks fine. Some tiny scratches on the piston. Cylinder looks great.
There was gas in the oil. Could be from flooding it while trying to get it to start??
Here pics.

Where do I go from here!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KazooAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
KazooAuto
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Don’t know where to go from here!

The smaller of the two valves i can get a fingernail in it a bit. It is not as flush as the bigger valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KazooAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Turn the heads upside down with the spark plug in. Pour some water in the combustion chamber. Look to see if it's coming out on the valve stem side.

If yes, could need a valve job, or just might need lapped really good.

As far as the scoring on the cylinder, looks like it might hone out, but you'll have to measure the bore to see how close it is to spec. It might be time for an overbore.

Fuel can leak into the oil from sitting if the float sticks a little. The fuel will slowly fill the bowl, overflow, and if it's sitting on an angle can leak into the cylinder. It can also be from slow starting (cranking forever).

Take the carb off and soak in hot soapy water and clean it out really well. Blow it dry with compressed air, just don't put the air tip right in the carb, hold it out 6" away. Then use carb spray and a brush for any stubborn spots. I like to soak the carbs in Simple Green for an hour, then wash it out. Be sure to use the carb spray both directions in all the carb ports.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
jacobsond
Getting Wild

X2 You have to get the cylinder walls at least a quick hone to clean them up. Measuring the cylinder and piston is a must to see if you are out of spec. At least put a ring in the cylinder without the piston and measure the gap. There is a spec for that gap. You did have the valve lash set correctly didn't you.That will cause low compression. Were the timing marks lined up during reassembly?
jacobsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha