lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
RemoveB4flight
Not Yet Wild

Default Allied battery issues

First time poster here seeking some advice.

Father has a 2009 Yamaha cart that he rides around the neighborhood streets twice a day every day. Last year for his Bday I bought him 4 Allied 12 volt batteries and their charger as a drop in replacement. Initially it was fantastic, but roughly 14 months later the cart wouldn’t make it around the block.

Allied is impossible to get on the phone, but I opened a ticket and after a couple weeks of slow responses they sent out a balancer. I also replaced all the cables for posterity.

We installed this, and while it put a little life back, the state of charge would drop from 100% to 30-40 almost immediately, and down to the single digits when you pushed the accelerator. The range grew to about a mile and that’s it.

Weeks more of emailing and finally were able to get the batteries warrantied.

They show up today, and instead of four 12 volts we got two 48 volts. My first instinct was to return, but the three plus months of waiting days or weeks between replies has me looking for other solutions.

Other than fabricating a way to mount them in the battery tray, and of course wiring them in parallel instead of series, would there be any other issues to using this size battery instead? On the plus size it totals 60ah versus the 50ah we had before.

Thanks in advance.
RemoveB4flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Allied battery issues

You are probably much better off with these in parallel. Series Lithium batteries don't do well as you found out because there is nothing to keep them balanced. In addition, 50AH is really marginal for a golf cart.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:44 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Allied battery issues

They have sent you the correct battery(s). Series connected lithium batteries are very bad, as you've already experienced.

It really amazes me how many retailers are selling 12v lithium batteries for 24v, 36v 48v etc. applications. It shows how much ignorance is out there when it comes to lithium batteries. Buy the correct battery for your application and it will last you many, many years.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha