lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Yamaha Genius System Programmer

OK, Fair enough, maybe "joke" is the wrong word. I am just a little frustrated that they limited the cart with software and require payment to allow the cart to perform to it's potential. The least they could have done was require dealers to have the equipment to flash the carts.

I suppose if I had a dealer it would be worth spending the money, assuming the cost is nominal, to get the PTV code. That would assume that Yamaha would allow it since I did not purchase a PTV package from them. I am not the original owner and already have lights and mirrors.

Does anyone know what Yamaha considers as qualification for the PTV "Upgrade" Code? What is the cost?
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
OK, Fair enough, maybe "joke" is the wrong word. I am just a little frustrated that they limited the cart with software and require payment to allow the cart to perform to it's potential. The least they could have done was require dealers to have the equipment to flash the carts.

I suppose if I had a dealer it would be worth spending the money, assuming the cost is nominal, to get the PTV code. That would assume that Yamaha would allow it since I did not purchase a PTV package from them. I am not the original owner and already have lights and mirrors.

Does anyone know what Yamaha considers as qualification for the PTV "Upgrade" Code? What is the cost?
Thanks for the amendment, and don't be frustrated. Sir,I have no idea what you do for a living, but I would bet, you do not giveaway your product or service. It was a requirement for dealers to sighn up and pay for, and would not be able to sell the PTV upgrade if specific rules for the PTV upgrade were not followed. Lites/horn/and reflective stickers (there ugly!), no mention of mirrors. Nominal price? 250.00. Does not matter if your the original owner, just that you have the requiremnents to make it a PTV. Here's an option for you, disconect the motor sensor lead (end of motor to wire harness), you WILL lose "anti run away and regenitive brakeing features" but the car should be faster, if that's what you want. Please do not get mad at Yamaha for offering an "upgrade", do what you want with your car, but any "upgrade" will cost some money.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Well, after reading this post, I decided to give it another shot and call the local dealers to ask about the PTV upgrade. Turns out, there is a one dealer here who knows what I am talking about and can do the upgrade. I called them all last time and I suppose I just talked to someone then who did not know about programming with the PTV option.

Cost is ~ $150

They say it requires lights, mirrors and turn signals. So, I ordered a turn signal kit today to prepare for the upgrade.

I am not upset with Yamaha for monetizing the upgrade, just the means by which the upgrade is obtained. It seemed a little mysterious considering the dealers did not even know about it. I feel better about it now that I actually found a person who deals in Yamaha carts that knows what I am talking about when I mention the upgrade.

Also, been thinking how they might improve on the actual upgrade or coding to the controller. Really not coming up with much. They could use a jumper like EZ but that is simple to duplicate w/o paying for the service. They could use an actual circuit that plugs in which contains the code, but then they have to manufacture that product. Other options could be to put a standard USB port on the cart and allow customers to pay, download and install the software via a thumb drive. I like this method, but it might be too complex for some folks.

Thanks smallblock for your patience and help. I am excited that I will finally break 11 MPH in my cart.

BTW I did disconnect the regen wire a while back but honestly it only got me about one mph on flat ground. Was not worth the loss of re-gen / reverse brake for the little gain. I am assuming the PTV code configures the controller to pass more power through to the motor (longer pulses of power) and sets the regen to kick in at a higher rpm? Am I close?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
Well, after reading this post, I decided to give it another shot and call the local dealers to ask about the PTV upgrade. Turns out, there is a one dealer here who knows what I am talking about and can do the upgrade. I called them all last time and I suppose I just talked to someone then who did not know about programming with the PTV option.

Cost is ~ $150

They say it requires lights, mirrors and turn signals. So, I ordered a turn signal kit today to prepare for the upgrade.

I am not upset with Yamaha for monetizing the upgrade, just the means by which the upgrade is obtained. It seemed a little mysterious considering the dealers did not even know about it. I feel better about it now that I actually found a person who deals in Yamaha carts that knows what I am talking about when I mention the upgrade.

Also, been thinking how they might improve on the actual upgrade or coding to the controller. Really not coming up with much. They could use a jumper like EZ but that is simple to duplicate w/o paying for the service. They could use an actual circuit that plugs in which contains the code, but then they have to manufacture that product. Other options could be to put a standard USB port on the cart and allow customers to pay, download and install the software via a thumb drive. I like this method, but it might be too complex for some folks.

Thanks smallblock for your patience and help. I am excited that I will finally break 11 MPH in my cart.

BTW I did disconnect the regen wire a while back but honestly it only got me about one mph on flat ground. Was not worth the loss of re-gen / reverse brake for the little gain. I am assuming the PTV code configures the controller to pass more power through to the motor (longer pulses of power) and sets the regen to kick in at a higher rpm? Am I close?
PTV code purchase does not require turn signals. Who are you talking too? The PTV code disables the "regen feature" and can be set for differant speeds. 30 is the max , close to 19 mph. Your stock controller can also be reprogramed to set the regen "setting" to a higher mph speed.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
PTV code purchase does not require turn signals. Who are you talking too?
I am working with a dealer in the Austin Texas area. They said it requires turn signals. If not, who can I contact to clear that up? Yamaha service?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #16
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Ended up just putting the turn signals on. Got the code and had the dealer program the cart. Much better. Runs right at 19 mph!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #17
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sounds like your happy. That's all that matters. Happy carting
Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #18
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I've still got my programmer. Since I don't mess around any Yamaha anymore I'm thinking about selling it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
I've still got my programmer. Since I don't mess around any Yamaha anymore I'm thinking about selling it.
....pm for info.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:03 AM   #20
Delft Maloo
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
....pm for info.
i know its an old thread but do you still have this for sale and would it include the plug in ir module?

I have an 08 drive and it is painfully slow, i only want to get it running to its potential, its only used on and around the golf course so I'm not fussed about hill climbing effects.
My local yamaha dealer is a bit of a PITA as they don't play with the golf buggies much as the local course run ezgo's and have a good stranglehold on the market. He says he hasn't used his programmer for a couple of years and doesn't even know where it is and he's not to keen to buy another one just for me. With the next closest dealer being over 3hrs away its not much help either. Being located in country Australia doesn't help my cause.

Thanks Tim
Delft Maloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha