lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default What Is Easiest Way To Increase Ground Clearance?

I have a stock '07 TXT PDS. It has the back flip seat. I have a 5 x 8 trailer and have to back the cart on for the rear seat foot rest to clear the front trailer rail. The trailer has and extra 2 x 12 plank on the floor to raise the foot rest over the rail. The trailer has the mesh ramp but the foot rest hits the ramp when backed up on level ground.

It would be nice to get a few more inches of ground clearance. So what might be the easiest and maybe cheapest way to increase clearance? Lift kit, larger wheels or what?
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What Is Easiest Way To Increase Ground Clearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
...............So what might be the easiest and maybe cheapest way to increase clearance?...........
Just some food for thought.

You'll have to lift the cart to use tire over 20" tall. Stock tire height is 18", so will 2" be enough?

If you go over 20", you'll need to upgrade controller, solenoid and cables.

You might want to look into lengthening the trailer's ramp, or articulating the foot rest instead of taller tires and lifting cart.

Also, jack tongue of trailer higher when loading cart and lower to hitch height when loaded.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Just some food for thought.
You'll have to lift the cart to use tire over 20" tall. Stock tire height is 18", so will 2" be enough?
Don't know if 2" will do it or not. I would hate to pony up for some new wheels and not have enough clearance.
Quote:
If you go over 20", you'll need to upgrade controller, solenoid and cables.
Good info. I do not have plans for those up grades.
Quote:
You might want to look into lengthening the trailer's ramp, or articulating the foot rest instead of taller tires and lifting cart.
I am thinking about those mods. I am currently using 4' 2 x 10's placed halfway up the ramp but I don't like that arrangement. I am thinking about hinging the footrest as you mentioned. My local dealer has a 2012 Star EV48 that has a swing up footrest and golf cart straps under the seat. I am not sure if this would fit a TXT or not. I think that you lose the foldout cargo feature. Here is a pic:

Quote:
Also, jack tongue of trailer higher when loading cart and lower to hitch height when loaded.
I would be concerned that the trailer would tip backwards if not attached to a vehicle.

Thanks for the thoughts Johnnie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StarRearSeat.jpg (37.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
1. I am currently using 4' 2 x 10's placed halfway up the ramp but I don't like that arrangement.

2. I would be concerned that the trailer would tip backwards if not attached to a vehicle.
1. Attach blocks of wood to end of trail's ramp to elevate it several inches off ground when down. Attach wood or metal ramps to end of trailer ramp with hinges so they can be folded onto trailer ramp and secured when trailer ramp is raised and locked in travel position.

Maybe you can find a shorter (& slightly narrower?) trailer ramp and use it instead of the two narrow ramps that might be hard to line up on.

One of the lawn care guys in the area has a trailer ramp the folds in the middle for loading his mowers. Don't know him, or where he lives, just seen him on the road a few times and though it was a good way to have a long ramp for loading and minimal wind resistance when driving.

2. It would be a balancing act.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Attach blocks of wood to end of trail's ramp to elevate it several inches off ground when down. Attach wood or metal ramps to end of trailer ramp with hinges so they can be folded onto trailer ramp and secured when trailer ramp is raised and locked in travel position.

Maybe you can find a shorter (& slightly narrower?) trailer ramp and use it instead of the two narrow ramps that might be hard to line up on.

One of the lawn care guys in the area has a trailer ramp the folds in the middle for loading his mowers. Don't know him, or where he lives, just seen him on the road a few times and though it was a good way to have a long ramp for loading and minimal wind resistance when driving.
Great ideas Johnnie. You have my creative juices flowing. I think modding the ramp would be the easiest thing to do. I have a welder and a bud who can get the materials at his company. I have seen pics of some trailers with folding ramps.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Look at where your rear springs attach to the buggy. Those shackles can be lengthened. I have no experience with them, but apparently lotsa folks do this.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Look at where your rear springs attach to the buggy. Those shackles can be lengthened. I have no experience with them, but apparently lotsa folks do this.
A 2" longer shackle might do the trick. I have stock springs and the rear sags some when the rear seat is loaded. I can make these but it would be easier to find some already made.

My cart is 90 miles away. Does anyone know what the stock shackle thickness and length is (hole center to center)?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #8
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep in mind that a 2" longer shackle will only lift the cart 1"
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:45 AM   #9
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

And 2" larger diameter tires will also only lift cart 1".
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 AM   #10
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ditch the folding ramp. It is too short for low clearance equipment like your cart. Use two 2x12 boards that are 8' long with the aluminum or steel tongues where they meet the trailer floor. Or get a trailer a bit longer so you don't have the problem with it being too short for what you are hauling.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO