lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #11
fltekdiver
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 12v reducer sparks?

Yes , thanks for the help ! I appreciate it
fltekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
Cushman Fixer
Not Yet Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Does it spark when you connect the 48 volt? If yes that is the capacitors charging. You can connect one of the wires then hold a light bulb on the battery post for the other side then touch the wire to the threads of the bulb to let the capacitor charge for a few seconds. Then you can connect the wire without sparks.

That’s a cool idea mrgolf!
Is it the filament resistance that cushions the charge?
Very interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cushman Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cushman Fixer View Post
That’s a cool idea mrgolf!
Is it the filament resistance that cushions the charge?
Very interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, yes the bulb acts as a resistor.

The ideal came from reading it on this site, I think Sergio or one of the others posted it for someone. I just remember reading it.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #14
ballerpnc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Can I clarify something? I am also working on hooking up a 30 amp reducer as well as a fuse block. I have studied several wiring diagrams and read a lot of these posts. I wanted to clarify - should the cart be in TOW mode the entire time when making all of these connections? Up until After the last connection is made? I like the resistor bulb idea and will use that.

I actually went to hook my connections up last week and got a huge spark when making the last connection to the negative post on battery back. It must have startled me and I think I made a touch to something else. I ended up melting one of the battery cable connectors and a terminal on a battery. I want to be dang sure I don’t do something wrong again. I’ve checked all these forums and I’m sure I have connections right - except I do need to add a fuse to the 48 v input line going to positive battery. Just wanted to make sure it should remain in tow mode. I have a 2010 EZGO RXV cart btw. Also I have the almost same reducer mentioned above. It is ok to wire the positive into the solenoid controller rather then the 48v positive battery terminal? Thanks!
ballerpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #15
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerpnc View Post
Can I clarify something? I am also working on hooking up a 30 amp reducer as well as a fuse block. I have studied several wiring diagrams and read a lot of these posts. I wanted to clarify - should the cart be in TOW mode the entire time when making all of these connections? Up until After the last connection is made? I like the resistor bulb idea and will use that.

I actually went to hook my connections up last week and got a huge spark when making the last connection to the negative post on battery back. It must have startled me and I think I made a touch to something else. I ended up melting one of the battery cable connectors and a terminal on a battery. I want to be dang sure I don’t do something wrong again. I’ve checked all these forums and I’m sure I have connections right - except I do need to add a fuse to the 48 v input line going to positive battery. Just wanted to make sure it should remain in tow mode. I have a 2010 EZGO RXV cart btw. Also I have the almost same reducer mentioned above. It is ok to wire the positive into the solenoid controller rather then the 48v positive battery terminal? Thanks!
Whenever you're working on the electrics it is a good idea to put it in Tow mode and to disconnect the main positive. This ensures that any mistaken touch of a cable or tool won't create a short. You can always connect it again temporarily if you need to take a multimeter reading.

The sparking that occurs when the capacitors are charging is frightening. I always make a point of being very firm when making that final connection. Push the connector very quickly onto the terminal and don't let it bounce. This minimises any sparking. The light bulb trick works well but it is becoming increasingly difficult to find an old incandescent globe.

I assume this is the fuse to which you are referring? Just make sure it is as close to the terminal as possible. You could, of course, also attach it to the blue wire if you wanted to (assuming yours is the same as this).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2542 with text medium.jpg (96.9 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:42 PM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
I think we've all been caught out by that sparking at some time. I remember the first time I hooked up the new reducer and thought I'd cooked something!

Good to see you've now got it going.
X2! Same here.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car