lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
bradleyball
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Arrow New Motor for 2018 Lifted Onward?

I recently purchased a 2018 lifted 48V Onward with 22" wheels. I live in the Florida panhandle, where we need to modify the cart to make it street-legal and register it. As part of that process, I need to get the speed up from 19 to 25. Two local dealers recommended a new motor to solve the speed increase challenge.

In reading various threads on this forum, I have instead decided to purchase an Alltrax XCT500 controller and 400a solenoid. From what others have experienced, this should result in a speed increase to ~27 with the stock motor (limiting the controller to 400 amps to avoid burning up the motor).

But my question goes back to the dealer recommendations to install a new motor only. Would that have worked? I understand that the stock controller will only allow so many RPMs and, even with larger tires, the controller would still have limited the speed.

Thanks!
bradleyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: New Motor for 2018 Lifted Onward?

If the speed code in the controller was at 4, it should have easily reached 20+ MPH with the 22" tires. Added people and weight would take from speed, but the speed code alone runs the rpms up to an equivalent MPH of 19. That is nothing compared to what just an XCT300 would do with no other modifications needed. That alone with a good pack would put you around 24 mph.

On a sepex cart as you have, the controllers make the biggest difference to gain speed because of the limited programming adjustments you can do with a factory (Curtis) controller. Had you bought just a motor, you would have been disappointment compared to the guy with the same cart that only bought an upgraded controller. Look here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/u...ages-precedent at packages and controllers.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
anpgator
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
If the speed code in the controller was at 4, it should have easily reached 20+ MPH with the 22" tires. Added people and weight would take from speed, but the speed code alone runs the rpms up to an equivalent MPH of 19. That is nothing compared to what just an XCT300 would do with no other modifications needed. That alone with a good pack would put you around 24 mph.

On a sepex cart as you have, the controllers make the biggest difference to gain speed because of the limited programming adjustments you can do with a factory (Curtis) controller. Had you bought just a motor, you would have been disappointment compared to the guy with the same cart that only bought an upgraded controller. Look here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/u...ages-precedent at packages and controllers.
every factory lifted Onward I have sold or worked on would not go above 19mph even with speed code 4. And the tires are actually 23" on that model.

For on-road use on mostly flat terrain we usually see 24-26mph just swapping in a high speed motor.
anpgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by anpgator View Post
every factory lifted Onward I have sold or worked on would not go above 19mph even with speed code 4. And the tires are actually 23" on that model.

For on-road use on mostly flat terrain we usually see 24-26mph just swapping in a high speed motor.
You're absolutely correct. That's because Club Car sets those controllers up that way. They know the car has 23" tires stock, so they change the actual RPM that equals 19.6 MPH. A speed code on a lifted onward gets you 19.6 MPH, same as it does on a non-lifted one.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by anpgator View Post

So back to an Alltrax controller. The factory speed is controlled by the set point of the RPM's and with an Alltrax you can adjust the RPM limit, throttle curve, amperage, current setting, troubleshoot, etc. I guess I see the controller as the bottle neck and bigger benefit by opening up the capability of the OEM motor. But hey, I'm all about a bigger motor/controller combination all day long....
Old 04-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #6
bradleyball
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the feedback. Here's what I'm missing: if you still have the same stock controller, how does a high-speed motor make ANY difference? Won't you still have the exact same RPM limitations no matter what motor you put in?

I understand that an upgraded controller/motor is the way to go here. Just trying to learn.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The controller will limit the RPM, but most aftermarket speed motors use a 4-pole magnet as compared to the stock 8-pole. So you need two revolutions to signal one revolution to the controller. That is hit or miss in my experience. The 2009+ i2/Excels were designed with different interfaces then the IQ's in regards to the speed sensor. High speed magnets (4-pole) worked on very few and did not work on the vast majority. That is why we would replace the controller and then open up the capability of the OEM motor. I assume the motor replacement referenced above has a different style speed sensor that the factory controller can work with as a 4-pole. I am not sure.

If it were mine and I was going to do one or the other, it would definitely be the controller first, then if down the road I wanted more speed/power, I could then upgrade the motor, and the controller would be done. Remember, with controllers like Alltrax, you can plan for bigger now by purchasing an XCT500 and adjusting it to a 300 amp output and run it as long as you like, then if down the road you wanted to get a bigger motor, then you add all your peripherals and then turn the controller up to 500 amp. You will see on here where lots of members have done it that way. Buy what works for now, with capability to do more in the future.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
bradleyball
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Done. Easy & thank you.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
You're absolutely correct. That's because Club Car sets those controllers up that way. They know the car has 23" tires stock, so they change the actual RPM that equals 19.6 MPH. A speed code on a lifted onward gets you 19.6 MPH, same as it does on a non-lifted one.
That is very interesting!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
That is very interesting!
Yeah it's a different software version. It can be identified with the IQDM when you plug it in.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, motor, onward
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car