lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
32FF
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery troubles (Please help!!!)

I have searched other threads but cannot seem to get the guidance I am looking for.

I have a 2012 Precedent 48v. After sitting over the winter, my batteries were too low to charge with the factory charger. I have been trying to charge them with a battery charger, however with 4 of the 6 batteries, the charger goes into a regeneration mode and won’t charge the batteries. These are batteries 3-6.

My batteries were new last year. They are Duracell batteries (Wrong battery choice, IMO).

I have not yet reset the OBC but don’t know how that would help at this point since the batteries don’t have charge to them.
32FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery troubles (Please help!!!)

Have you tried to "perk" the batteries one at a time with a 12 volt automotive charger? You don't need to disconnect any cables. Usually all it takes is 10 to 15 minutes per battery to perk them up enough for your cart charger to see enough voltage so as to turn on.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

as stated above you only need to get therm to 5-6 volts each. dont stray it wont take long .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
32FF
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Have you tried to "perk" the batteries one at a time with a 12 volt automotive charger? You don't need to disconnect any cables. Usually all it takes is 10 to 15 minutes per battery to perk them up enough for your cart charger to see enough voltage so as to turn on.
Yes. Batteries 1&2 would take the charge. Batteries 3-6 wouldn’t. I have since done the OBC reset and that did nothing to help. I am starting to think the batteries are bad already.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

how is the water level , have to ask ,
Old 04-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
32FF
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
how is the water level , have to ask ,
All batteries have the plates covered. They appear to have the proper levels.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i cant believe 4 out of 6 wont take any charge only being a year old . where are you , any chance that they froze
Old 04-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

What model Powerdrive charger do you have...I'm assuming it is a Powerdrive 3...If you feel comfortable doing it, you could take the cover off the charger and bypass the relay (2 black wires)...This will allow full amps to the batteries...Let it run for about an hour keeping an eye on the batteries then reconnect the relay and see if the cart will charge..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #9
32FF
Not Yet Wild

Problem resolved:

I realized these batteries were two years old. I contacted a local cart retailer and they informed me that my Duracell batteries were a pretty low quality and some people only get 2-3 years out of them. With that said, I am now the proud owner of 6 Trojan T-875’s. I may have been taken but they are installed and the cart is back to working order.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

You can't ever go wrong with Trojans.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, obc, precedent, trouble
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car