lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
charlie99
Not Yet Wild

Default FE350 flywheel heads up

Hi, first post! I wanted to post what I found with a FE350 I got in a 2005 Carryall from CraigsList. Seller reported the motor had been replaced with a rebuilt unit, but it's never run right for me. Very hard to start; backfires through the carb and kicks the motor *backwards* every try. When it did start, it seemed low on power.

I tried everything I learned here, to no avail (new coil, check cam timing marks, disconnect RPM limiter, clean carb, replace carb, clean out fuel tank, replace fuel pump....). Nothing made a difference.

Finally I put a timing light on it, thinking maybe I'll have to make an offset key to retard the ignition timing a few degrees.

A few degrees, Hah! Turned out the igntion timing was at 68° BTDC! Not gonna correct that with a key ......

Brad Porcellato was kind enough to confirm that somehow the key in this flywheel was in the wrong location! The rebuilder evidently grabbed a flywheel from the wrong pile. It's a FE350 flywheel (cast into the reverse side), but clearly not from this FE350.

So long story short, I guessed at timing and put it about 30° BTDC, and now it runs like a scalded cat!

So really just an FYI, be aware not all FE350 flywheels are the same! Pic attached, of the BAD one! Keyway is about 38° off of where it should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad_FE350_flywheel.jpg (106.1 KB, 0 views)
charlie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2021, 11:27 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: FE350 flywheel heads up

Good find. Never know who is rebuilding these engines or what they may do...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
charlie99
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Good find. Never know who is rebuilding these engines or what they may do...
Yep, forgot to mention that the same motor was 'rebuilt' without crank or cam shims, so crankshaft was wandering back & forth about 0.060
charlie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

That is the same flywheel that is on my 2013 FE400. How odd. If you look at used flywheels on ebay, you can see that the keyway is close to inline with the trigger magnet. That one is almost 90° off of the keyway.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Gotta love eBay rebuilders...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car