lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

Default Drive wont engage

I have to say this forum ROCKS.....you guys are a huge help to this newbie cart owner!!!

I have a 2001 club car ds with a 290 engine. I've replaced both clutches with new ones, both belts are new, new fuel filters, pump, hoses, and oil filter and change with spark plug. After the cart runs for about 5 to 8 minutes (enough time to get everything nice and warmed up) it sputters hard going up slopes even mild ones. Then if you stop on a slope and then hit the gas, the starter engages and the belt turns as well as the clutch and drive belt but it wont take off. If i rock it sometimes it will jump and take off. I can reverse down the hill and go the other way. I left the back cover off and can see everything is turning and running but it wont take off on up slopes. I bought what i thought was the only replacement oem drive belt for it. It does have some play in the belt at rest. I'm just hoping it's not the rear end going out.
Joerob25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Drive wont engage

The sputtering you describe would tend to point to either a fuel or spark situation, it certainly doesn't sound like anything clutch or drive related. I think we can rule out the spark since it doesn't much care whether you are going up hill or down so that just really leaves the fueling side of things. I wonder if the float height might be set to low ? This would result in not enough fuel in the carb bowl. Fine on level ground but it would cause the fuel to be drawn away from the jetting system when facing up hill. Just something you might want to have a look into.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

How do you check the float settings? Also I installed a new air filter which i thought might be the issue because i had to choke it all the time before that. It seemed to start after changing tair filter and i know those carbs are real stubborn about the air to fuel ratio. I took the air box of and clean everything and reseated it and now this issue persist. I have ordered a new carb and air intake hose to squash that being an issue. i've about got a new cart built here!!!! lol
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Pull the fuel pickup tube (Straw) out of the gas tank and blow the trash out of it. I see this every day of my life. It's VERY common. Just unhook the fuel line from it and it un-screws out of the tank.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

Replaced the tube and still sputters going up an incline. Would it matter that i'm testing this going around my house and it's usually turning left or a slight left up hill turn that it sputters hard on but it does do this from time to time no matter where. If i stop where it is when it starts to sputter, it will not take off again continuing up the hill. It sits and just spins the clutches but never takes off running. Would this be a limiter going bad or a ignitor going bad? Maybe a short somewhere. I have a new carb, new gaskets, fuel pump, fuel, fuel pick up hose, tank vent assembly, fuel filters, fuel lines (although not the same diameter), new air filter, NEW INTAKE HOSE TO THE CARB FROM AIR BOX, both new clutches and new belts.

This is driving me crazy!!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerob25 View Post
I have a new carb, new gaskets, fuel pump, fuel, fuel pick up hose, tank vent assembly, fuel filters, fuel lines (although not the same diameter), new air filter, NEW INTAKE HOSE TO THE CARB FROM AIR BOX, both new clutches and new belts.

This is driving me crazy!!!!!
Are you saying that you put on new fuel lines and they aren't the same diameter as the stock lines? Are the lines bigger or smaller? I assume they are bigger. Are you still running a stock fuel pump?
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

I believe the lines were 6mm. But i replaced with 7mm. The problem was the same with both sizes however. The size i used was the next size down
Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

^^^

Ahh, I was wondering if you had gone bigger on the lines if perhaps you were losing the "siphon" effect and the fuel pump wasn't able to get enough fuel through to the carb once you were going up hill. It was a long shot but it crossed my mind so I figured I'd ask :)

Fuel pump was my first thought but you said its new.

Did you check the float?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Joerob25
Not Yet Wild

How do i check the float? The carb float or gas float?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

The float in the carb. If the float is set to low it won't allow enough fuel to be stored in the bowl. Then when you go uphill the motor is working harder, the fuel is sloshing in the bowl and all the sudden that lower fuel level becomes an issue.

Here's a link to how the float works, it's pretty simple technology (think of how your toilet functions and you'll understand it pretty quick) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

To check it you need to remove the bowl off the carb and you will see the float assembly inside. Unfortunately I'm not sure of the specs on how the float should be set stock. Maybe someone else will be able to help there... I would make sure that the float is functioning properly for starters (you should be able to put some gas in the bowl and watch the float and make sure it's floating and raising the needle as it should, etc) and then work on checking to see that the levels are set right.

You could just adjust it to raise the float up as well and give it a shot but I would try to find the spec's first.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car