lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
larry5b6
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie needs help choosing the right cart

Hello, folks,

I'm a reasonably technically inclined and handy guy who's about to dip his toe in the golf cart waters. My cart will be used for getting around my community, which is less than a mile end-to-end, and I'm planning some rather extensive physical/cosmetic modification. I'm an engineer and my wife is an artist, so we should be able to have some fun with this.

But I've no idea where to get started. I've decided the cart should be electric, not gas, but apart from that I've no idea where to begin.

- Are there particular models that lend themselves to modification, or which have better support or a wider variety of third-party add-ons available?

- Is a used golf cart shop the best place to get one, or should I look around on my own? There seem to be plenty of offerings on ebay, but how does a newbie judge something from hundreds (or thousands) of miles away?

- What should I be worrying about that I'm not? (I understand battery life).

Thanks in advance.

LR
larry5b6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Newbie needs help choosing the right cart

EZGO and Club Car are the two big companies now, so pick one of them. They still make parts for them, and aftermarket accessories are all over the place.
A lot of guys (including myself) prefer CC becuase of their aluminum frames (no rust). They are also well built and pretty reliable.
In terms of drive systems, I would stick with either series or sepex. Old resistor carts are inefficient and very slow.
Both of my carts that I have bought in the past have come from my local online classifieds (craigslist). I would avoid buying something, say on ebay, that you won't be able to look at in person before you buy. The golf cart dealers in my area sell used carts, but in my opinion they ask WAY too much for them. Your best bet would probably be a private seller.
Good luck in your search and welcome to the fun!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts