lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default #1 battery loses charge

Hey Guys....I have a 94 ezgo medalist that I have been working on...Runs great but lately seems like the batteries don't last as long as they should.

I have gone through and cleaned all the batteries and cable to include cables to the motor. All connections are clean and good. Did a gravity check on the batteries which are about 3 years old and all are fair to good. The cart charges to 39 plus but don't hold the charge long. After a short distance the Number 1 battery is always lower than the others..All will be around 6.2 and the number one battery will be around 5.7ish...I have switched the batteries around several times and its always the number one battery that is lower than the rest.

Anyone have any ideas...

Thanks Bill
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: #1 battery loses charge

could the charge wires be connected to 5 batteries? Does the #1 battery come up when charged?
Extra draw on #1 like lights?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Yea Scotty...when fully charged all batteries are within a point of each other. last total charge was 39.3 which is good for 3 year old batteries...but yes, which ever battery is in number spot charges same as others....I have already replaced the #1 battery cable to the controller and from the controller to the motor.....no difference...
Old 12-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are many ways to number the batteries, which one is #1?

The batteries are connected in series, so they are charged and discharged equally and the differences in each battery voltage should reflect differences in the storage capacity of the batteries themselves, rather than their position.

If position-1 has a parasitic drain for some reason, that would explain the battery voltage be position sensitive.

Or if position-1 was hotter, or colder, than the rest, that could also explain it.

---------
What are the individual battery voltages about 12 hours after the charger shuts off automatically?

What are the individual battery voltages about 1/2 hour after the cart has been driven a couple miles?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Hey JohnnieB...If its one thing I have learned from you and ScottyB and others of course over the past 5 years is batteries..batteries...batteries...I work on a lot of golf carts in our campground as a hobby more than the money and have learned a great deal from all of you...

My problem has been going on for a couple weeks now...What I am calling the Number 1 battery is the one the one that connects to either the solenoid or the controller (depending on the golf cart). Number 6 being the negative back to the motor...

After charging all night (until charger shuts off) I have pack voltage of around 39.2 to 39.3...which I think is great for 3 year old batteries. I also check each battery and ALLsaround 6.50 +-.....After driving for a short distance say 1/2 mile, the pack voltage will drop to around say 36.8 +-. Then checking each battery all with be with in a small range, ie 6.10+-. except for the number one battery with will be well below 6 volts..say around 5.80+-.

The same thing happens each time I switch the batteries around..The number 1 battery is always low....I have checked before and after riding and the batteries do not lose a charge just sitting. They will in time equalize but will not drop once that occurs.

I have done gravity checks several time on all batteries and it shows good to include the low number one battery...

what do you think...could I possible have brushes in the motor shorting out and pulling the number 1 battery down quicker than the pack can equalize.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
sunking
Gone Wild

3 year old batteries are old and out of warranty. Time for a replacement. You just happen to have one battery weaker than the other 5.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You have at least one bad battery.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

No Sir...don't have a bad battery....That number one battery can be put in other places and its fine...What ever battery that is put in the number one spot looses voltage while running....If batteries are taken care of, keeping water level up, charging properly, terminals clean you should be able to get 5 years if not 6 out of them...

ALL batteries check out fine with meter and gravity check....
Old 12-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Also guys, after that 1/2 mile run dropping a couple volts you would think there would be a hot wire somewhere....but have check all battery and motor wires, everything feels normal...nothing hot...
Old 12-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

can you post a picture of your battery pack
and somehow mark which is position number 1?
maybe we can see something in the wiring that
will lead us to some useful ideas and questions.
remac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO