lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Chris Russell
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G19 REBUILD-Converting into a Hunting Buggy (Lots of PICS)

Greetings,

Seeing Daubers showing pics of his Yamaha G22 Rebuild, thought I would share the progress I am making on my G19 rebuild. It has been a very big learning lesson that I have enjoyed tremendously and like alot of you, putting more into it than I can get out of it right? Part of it.

First.. thank you to everyone for all the GREAT info I have been able to find and research on this site.

DISCLOSURE: NOT COMPLETED YET!

I am getting closer though. So here goes...

Here is what I started with. 1999 G19 frame with a 2006 G22 Plastic body, aftermarket Rear seat kit, generic 3" A-Fram Lift kit and 20" Wheels and Tires. Stock motor, controller and 5 year old Trojan Batteries. 48v Cart

Since I was going to want to use this for mainly hunting and carrying kids, I wanted more power than the stock motor/controller gave. By the way, I have the controller, motor and solenoid if anyone would like to buy them. Make me an offer. PM me if interested.

Ok, so fix/dream list (after tons of research)
Paint the Body
New Motor
New Controller
New Solenoid
Front Bumpers
Radio
New Windshield
New Seat Covers
48-12v Converter
Paint the Top and Struts
30" LED Front Light Bar
Front Winch
Front 10" Green LED Light Bar
Rear LED Lights
Clean Body and Re-Paint
and more...

Stock Solenoid

Yamaha Stock Motor

Stock Controller

A-Frame Lift Kit which I found out I cannot put Front Disc Brakes on which I would love to have done. Any ideas?

Ordered a Don Plowmans Riot Kit for a G19 48v and he has been AWESOME to work with! Thank you Don! Came with his motor, an ALLTRACK 500 Controller, Solenoid and new Cables.

I also picked up a 48-12v converter as well from Don.

I have installed some ground connectors and fuse blocks too!

Lets talk RADIO! I found a Jensen Marin radio at BASS PRO in Springifield MO that works perfectly. SIDE NOTE: Springfield MO is the founding location for Bass Pro. Johnny Morris started BP out of his dads liquor store back in the 70's and it has grown obviously. Here locally we have the main store which has a HUGE museum, gun museum, archery museum and more importantly the Bass Pro Outlet.. all the factory returns. Thats how I got this radio for $60.00. http://www.basspro.com/Jensen-MS3A-A...ductextensions I encourage you to visit us sometime and check out Big Cedar Lodge and Top of the Rock in Branson MO too!

Back to the radio. I did not want to lose my glove box area by sticking a radio in it, so I decided to mount the small circular radio just below the dash to the right of the gas pedal. Its perfect. Still worried about dust, mud, water, etc from getting to the unit, I had a friend create a metal box I used to house the unit. WORKS GREAT! Check it out!

One of the other additions I made was adding the custom diamond plate floor boards and runners in black Herculiner from J&O Carts. They were awesome and easy to work with.

So, here is a pic of the radio installed in the floorboard.

I decided to mount the speakers that I decided to paint in RUSTOLEUM Bedliner paint to match (yes I sanded, primed, adhesion promoter and then painted) into the engine cover that I had J&O make as well.

Pic of all the floor boards from J&O

more to come
Chris Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Chris Russell
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G19 REBUILD-Converting into a Hunting Buggy (Lots of PICS)

If you are interested in the box dimensions, here are the plans I gave my buddy who is an HVAC guy to use to build. We used 18G sheet metal.

WIRING: I have rewired everything! Actually done it a couple of times to combine wires and looms. I have installed some relays for the big LED light and for the Key Switch. I am planning on running one wire from the ignition to the key switch relay and then converter and then to the bus connector on the bottom right giving me one access point for key switch power for all LED lights and accessories. Pretty sure it will work????

AUXILLARY BATTERY
So, after much research and thought, I have decided to add an auxiliary battery for power for the front bumper winch (pic coming) and the Kicker AMP I decided to add to the stereo system (because I added an 8: Subwoofer). I DID not want to add it to my bag well. So I did a little measuring and decided the space between the motor and the current battery tray was perfect. So I picked up a metal battery tray from JEGS, some angle iron and bolted it in place. It was perfect!

I will also be installing a waterproof trickle charger and I bought a reverse plug in to install on the outside of the body so I can plug it in as well when I charge the main batteries.

Look close, you can see how I mounted it. Worked Perfectly! I did trim the angle iron a little to allow for the suspension system to stay clear of the angle iron.

FRONT BUMPER:
I am installing a Grizzly Metal Works Front bumper . I will be coating it too in the HERCULINER soon. This will where I will be mounting my front winch and smaller tactical Green LED light. I think this thing looks TOUGH!

more to come
Old 03-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Chris Russell
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G19 REBUILD-Transporter into Hunting Buggy (Lots of PICS)

PAINT AND BODY:

My goal is to use AL's Gray Spray on Bed Liner for the body. For all the rest of the trim and body parts, I have been using Rustoleum products. Truck bed coating, rubberized coating, clear coats, Etching Primer, etc. I am very nervous about all this. I have used the tips and tricks found here to paint aluminum and plastic. Let's pray it works. I still have the body and top to go. Everything else is coming along great-so far!

LUMINUM STRUTS for the TOP

What is left???

Waiting on some warmer days and less wind to paint the body parts. They are about 75% prepped though. Plan on using Herculiner for the top. All teh wiring harnesses for all the lights and accessories are ran. Once I get the body and top painted, it will be time to start assembling.

Some other random things I have done with no pics:

Turned the brake drums
New steering wheel.
Painted the Gear Housing
Fixed the loose steering box
Replaced halogen headlights with LED
Replaced Push and Pull Headlight switch with rocker switch
Added USB and 12V Power Outlets.

I will post more pics soon... really looking forward to getting this thing back out on the road.

Look forward to any comments or ideas.

Thanks for looking.
Chris
Old 03-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
2016CTD
Gone Wild
Club Car

Nice job!

2016CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Nice work so far!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I love the spray booth, and parts hangers. Great job
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
Chris Russell
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2504 View Post
I love the spray booth, and parts hangers. Great job
Without a true spray booth.. I have to wait on warmer weather an no wind :)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Did you put the G22 battery tray in your G19, or someone else?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Chris Russell
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Did you put the G22 battery tray in your G19, or someone else?
It's funny you ask that.. I thought the same thing. The VIN shows it as a G19, the body says 2006 G22, the motor, controller comes from a G19 so not really sure what I have.. good thing is most of the G14-G22 parts are all the same.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The front suspension & steering indicates G19, the brake pedal indicates G19, the original controller & it's location indicates G19, BUT the battery tray was only available in G22.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha