lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Ray_Dean
Not Yet Wild

Default Building a bomb!

Longtime lurker here! Decided to start this thread to hold myself accountable to finishing this project. I have a 2014 Club Car Precedent that’s basically stock with the exception of 12” wheels with street tires. I live in a golf course community, so the cart is primarily used for golf, riding around the neighborhood, and hopefully shaming anyone who wants to race.

My batteries are nearing end of life, so I had the bright idea to build my own lithium-ion pack. I purchased in excess of 800 new, old stock LG MH1 cells recycled from electric scooter packs. My plan is to build 4 separate 14s 10p packs. They will then be run in parallel, giving me an approximately 132Ah battery. I have a Daly 250a bms and have yet to decide on a charger. Since I’m already so deep into this, my thought is to go ahead and spring for the Navitas ac conversion kit.

Any suggestions or criticism is welcome.
Ray_Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Building a bomb!

GL with the build. I think this thread title may have just put you on the FBI watchlist.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
morvolts2
Gone Wild

you are a brave soul
normally that type of battery pack is built using new identically matched cells.
I would hope you have a way of monitoring each one of those cells.
All it takes is one runaway cell to upset the apple cart.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:24 PM   #4
Ray_Dean
Not Yet Wild

All cells have been tested, sorted, and configured in the new packs using repackr.com’s tool. To be honest all cells were at or above manufacturer stated capacity. I’m making it as safe as possible. I plan on using a military surplus steel mortar can as a battery box.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:35 PM   #5
Getter-Done
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
GL with the build. I think this thread title may have just put you on the FBI watchlist.
No Joke

Leave it away from the house

Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:36 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like a massive task dealing with that many cells. How do you plan to connect them?
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:39 PM   #7
Getter-Done
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dean View Post
All cells have been tested, sorted, and configured in the new packs using repackr.com’s tool. To be honest all cells were at or above manufacturer stated capacity. I’m making it as safe as possible. I plan on using a military surplus steel mortar can as a battery box.
Sounds good
Keep the pictures and info coming.
I am interested

Old 11-20-2020, 01:15 AM   #8
Ray_Dean
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Sounds like a massive task dealing with that many cells. How do you plan to connect them?
All cells are secure in cell holders. (See pics) then spot welded in groups using cell level fused nickel busbars.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:35 AM   #9
Ray_Dean
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
No Joke

Leave it away from the house

Appreciate your concern. I am taking all possible risks into account. However, do you realize how many lithium-ion cells you currently have in your home? Between cordless Dyson vacs, dewalt battery packs, robot vacuums, etc, I probably had 85+ cells before this project. It’s simply a matter of respecting what you’re working with and taking appropriate precautions. Would you freak out and leave your cart outside with a brand new $2,000 RoyPow pack?
Old 11-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #10
Getter-Done
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dean View Post
Appreciate your concern. I am taking all possible risks into account. However, do you realize how many lithium-ion cells you currently have in your home? Between cordless Dyson vacs, dewalt battery packs, robot vacuums, etc, I probably had 85+ cells before this project. It’s simply a matter of respecting what you’re working with and taking appropriate precautions. Would you freak out and leave your cart outside with a brand new $2,000 RoyPow pack?
I should have put JK in with that. (Just Kidding)
That comment was for the title of the thread.
I like your idea

Tags
ac conversion, clubcar, diy, lithium, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car