lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2008 Yamaha YDRE sometimes will not restart

This is an update. The dealer checked the cart out using the PDA and some other test gear. I was not present during this time . The dealer came to the conclusion that the controller was faulty and replaced it with a used one of the same brand and model. Apparently, it worked fine in the workshop but the same afternoon the owner used it to play a round of golf. The cart failed before he got to the first tee and a couple of times later in the round. After resetting the controller with the tow switch the cart works fine - for a while! If the cart was mine I think that I would be changing out the F/R switch then trying the cart and if the problem still exists change the Tow switch and then finally the throttle transmitter. The fact that a new controller was not fitted is a worry. Are these controllers prone to having this type of problem? Stay tuned. Pat
patrickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 AM   #12
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

This is an update. The dealer has fixed the problem by replacing the Tow switch. The intermittent problem has disappeared. Thanks for your help. Pat
Old 03-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

After reading, i was thinking it might have been the switch. I would have tried that first.
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

OK. Thanks. Pat
Old 04-28-2015, 05:24 AM   #15
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

I have just realised that I have not given the final feed back to this problem. The cart went OK for a day or two then the stopping started again and started to happen more frequently. I connected a multi-meter to measure volts on the controller side of the contactor and drove the cart until the problem occurred. Immediately after the contactor clicked in and before the controller shut down the reading on the voltmeter dropped to a very low value. Replaced the contactor and the problem has gone away - that was months ago. Sorry for the delay. Pat
Old 04-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #16
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Fricken Electrical. Glad to see you got it solved.
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #17
Jeff1254
Not Yet Wild

Where did you get the contactor at?
Jeff1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:55 AM   #18
eddntx
Not Yet Wild

Contactor. Do you mean solenoid?
eddntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:02 AM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

in the G22 service manual, they call it a relay. in the G29 manual they call it a solenoid, G2 book calls it a solenoid relay, in the curtis controller service book its a main contactor. the industry seems unsure what to call it..... when someone referring to the solenoid/relay acts silly like they know nothing of this "strange other thing" you speak of, then just start calling it a "main contactor", like curtis does, then act like you dont know what a solenoid or a relay is. this example "character" was a real guy who always bought parts from us to fix many different make of carts, and more than half the time wanted to return the parts after his guess-work didnt pan out.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:58 AM   #20
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

The term "contactor" in the electrical industry is another word for a heavy duty relay. In our carts it consists of a solenoid coil which when supplied with 48VDC pulls in a set of heavy duty contacts which in turn supplies power to the controller. In the cart that I was having problems with the contacts sometimes would not make and the so the cart would not move. All it needed was a slight tap with a solid piece of timber and the the cart would move. The contactor was replaced and the problem was solved. I cannot remember specifically who I purchased the item from but it was one of the cart dealers in Townsville North Queensland Australia. Hope this clears things up. Pat
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha