lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #11
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1992 Club Car DS - Things to consider before undertaking modifications

klanel-Member Gwagon recently finished a conversion of his 89 DS that's similar to what you have in mind (plus some extra goodies). It turned out very nice and is a good example of what your 92 DS can be. Check out his build thread "Re: BREAKING NEWS!! A conversion has begun!".

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1992 Club Car DS - Things to consider before undertaking modifications

I just measured the battery voltage at the charger connection and it's a little over 12 volts. I checked the individual batteries and one read in the millivolts and the others 2+ or so. I'm not going to fool around with them anymore, just wanted to see if the charger I had would work so I can sell it and put that money toward the upgrades.

I did contact Scotty and he recommended a C-54 package consisting of a 500A Fsip controller, potentiometer, and heavy duty solenoid. Has anyone installed on of these on a CC? If so, how did the install go and what were the results? I'm guessing the coils will be discarded and will the variable pot and solenoid just bolt in where the old devices were? Where will the controller go? I'll also need a charger, anyone with experience using a DPI?

On another subject, I will need headlights but I'm finding the prices ridiculous for OEM lights. What makes these so special and are there any cost-effective alternatives? Do they run on system voltage (36-4 or is it regulated down? I have a 48v dc-dc converter that could step it to 12v for accessories.

After the 48 volt conversion, I want to install a lift kit. I see many brands/types. I saw one video online where they were cutting structural members to install a lift kit. For some of you with lift kits, what did you chose and why that particular choice?
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #13
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
klanel-Member Gwagon recently finished a conversion of his 89 DS that's similar to what you have in mind (plus some extra goodies). It turned out very nice and is a good example of what your 92 DS can be. Check out his build thread "Re: BREAKING NEWS!! A conversion has begun!".

Thanks for the link. I did look at it and it turned out nice. Also answered one question as to where the controller would be mounted.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

With a cargo box and a taller tires, I think the 500 amp controller is in the sweet spot for power (like Goldilocks said- not too hot and not too cold). Unless your thinking about a motor change, you won't gain anything from a 700 amp (and could over rev the stock motor).

The DPI chargers are the way to go. When I make my final jump to 48v. it will be with 6 X 8v. batteries and a DPI charger. It gives the batteries what they want the WAY they want it. I haven't heard any complaints about them.

My cart came with lights that look like OEM but one look at the wiring you can tell they are after-market. Replacement parts for mine are probably out there but I haven't had to look yet. Yours are probably wired to 2 batteries, so you will need to use that 48 to 12 converter.

Personally, I would never cut structural members to install a lift. There are too many good bolt-on lifts available that don't create a weakness.

Some may disagree with me about some of these things and that's OK. It's not a "one size fits all" world.

Good luck with your project.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #15
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Don't know if it was a good decision or not but today I ordered the conversion package containing a 700 amp controller. Not much difference in price and room to expand if I upgrade the motor. In the meantime, it the max current setting will be turned down. I will post some concerns/questions on this in another thread.

I will buy the charger/batteries after I get the current items mounted and wired. I got a quote on a DPI and glad to hear they are good chargers. Hopefully it will help the batteries last longer.

The headlights are still on the cart, just falling out of the inserts. I did find my DC/DC converter and it's 48-12 with a range of 30-60 input and 7 amps output if I recall correctly. I deal with lots of electronic equip and where we have wired to a portion of cells on gel cell batteries, it has caused premature failure on the batteries with unequal current drain. This may not be an issue with these large deep cycle batteries but that is one reason I wanted to use the converter.

So next week parts arrive. In the meantime, I've got to dig myself a hole in the shop to work from.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #16
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

The 700 amp controller was a good decision for the right reasons. As long as the wallet can take the extra dent, great. Don't want to ration the beer (must have priorities).

The 7 amp output seems too low. I'd check the fuse for those lights. If there's any thoughts of using a cigarette lighter for a power port for the electronic toys it won't cut it and the guys installing sound systems are using 30 amp converters. Although I don't need it at the moment, I picked up Scotty's 30 amp because it was on sale.

Side note: I've found that if I throw around words like "sale" and "coupon" while the wife is within ear-shot, life runs smoother.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #17
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
The 700 amp controller was a good decision for the right reasons. As long as the wallet can take the extra dent, great. Don't want to ration the beer (must have priorities)..

Changed my mind and went with the SPM-46500 Alltrax. Had some concerns on the correct way to set the adjustments on the GE and also the difficulty involved once it's mounted underneath.

The programmable will make it much easier to try and see the effects.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car