lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
kimrpaige
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 DS no go Fwd/Rev

Hello,
my friend has a 93 CC DS 36V controller cart that he asked me to look at as I am a mechanic. Anyway, I looked at the wiring diagram and troubleshot it and actually got it to move for about 1/2 mile then it quit again and I had to tow it back to his house. Voltage is good, and wiring to solenoid is good, solenoid energizes. FWD/REV switch is good, Have 36v to the two wires going to switch and 36V out when switch is in FWD or REV. I am thinking either the variable resistor in the pedal switch or the controller itself has gone haywire. Guess it could be the motor, but not sure, that's why I am posting this post. Is there anyway to check the controller/motor/pedal resistor by means of a digital VOM? I do not want to use the Shotgun way of troubleshooting as the parts are a bit costly. Thanks, Kim
kimrpaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 93 DS no go Fwd/Rev

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will jump in here.

If your only getting 36 volts the pack needs to be charged. Go to the sticky
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html

scroll down to the State of Charge table. 36 volts is less than 50% which is time to charge. Get it charged up and test the battery pack.
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Putter might be on to something - if it moved 1/2 mile every component was working. 1/2 mile is just far enough to find a weak battery. Once the pack is fully charged, does the solenoid close when you try to go?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
kimrpaige
Not Yet Wild

I do not think it is the batteries, but he is charging them now. So if the battery pack is at 36 which is roughly 50% charged the cart will not move or attempt to move at all? The solenoid is closing even at 36 volts but no movement at all. Can I take the cables off the motor and use jumper cables to put 36 or more from the battery pack directly to see if the motor is bad? If so what terminals on the motor? Also, I assume I can ohm out the rheostat on the pedal switch? Can I check the controller with a VOM? Kim
Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Any idea how old the batteries are?
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #6
kimrpaige
Not Yet Wild

I am at work today, I will check the batteries dates when I get home, I would guess they are old. We live in a 55+ MH community and he purchased it used. I am having another buddy check the battery pack voltage this am after it is charged. Will post update. Also, why is there a resistor across the normally open contacts of the main relay (solenoid)? Thanks, Kim
Old 05-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #7
kimrpaige
Not Yet Wild

OK update!!!! Batteries are 5 years old, date on all 4-10. all batteries except one are at 6.2V, other one is at 6.3V. Battery Pack is 37.5Volts. Still no go, solenoid is energizing. Can I power the motor directly from the battery pack to eliminate a bad motor or find the motor/brushes are the problem? Kim
Old 05-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What does the pack drop to when you try to go?
The resistor is a pre- charge device which reduces inrush damage to the controller capacitors when the contactor closes.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #9
kimrpaige
Not Yet Wild

Resistor makes sense now, just kind of pre loading the caps with small current. Battery pack drops from 37.5 to 37.4 while pedal is pushed.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Pack shows no load.
solenoid clicks.
36v to pin 1 on controller.
36v between M- and B- when the solenoid just clicks?
voltage between M- and B- drops near 0v when the gas pedal is pressed?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car