lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
dukedog1
Not Yet Wild

Default Cheap 36v Medalist upgrades

Been reading and searching for a week of two and have learned a lot. trying to not ask any dumb questions but here goes. I was given a early 90's ezgo. It has the metal body. f/r lever below the seat makes it a series from what I have read. It is in rough shape. No seat or batteries. Was only told that it used to run. I want to use it for a hunting buggy. I do a lot of hog and predator night hunting. Speed is not a concern. 10mph is fine. I need all the torque and pulling power that i can get. Here is my current list of parts to buy. 20x9.5x8 mud grip tires. Putting them on the factory wheels. No lift, just gonna cut the fenders to keep them from scrubbing. Now for power. New 36v batteries. Upgrade all cables to 2ga. Would going larger than that help? H/D FRswitch. HD solenoid. Biggest question is what can I do to get the most out of the factory motor and controller? I don't have the cash to buy aftermarket motors. Maybe a controller if need be. I would really like to get lower gears and a locker for the rear. To save some money is there any specific cart that come with lockers and gears that I could find used? My budget is about $1000. Can this be done this cheaply?
dukedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cheap 36v Medalist upgrades

As a guy who bought a 95 Medalist in similar condition, yes you can use it for $1000. Your batteries will be your single largest outlay. I have $700 in mine. Your next step, assuming your controller is good, is to make up large battery cables. I bought a 25' spool of #2 cable and a mess of crimp on lugs, at roughly $100. I can't speak for the cost of your tires, you know that better than I do.

The great thing about the Medalist is all the tire clearance on the rear. An average TXT can only get a 22" without lift. I don't know how much you can get under a Medalist, but I bet it's closer to 26" Were it me, I would use another pair of 18" implement tires. I don't have the pic to link on photobucket, I'll have to upload it. Anyhow, they go great and there isn't a lot of torque loss.

I initially built my cart to use in a transloading railyard. I have pulled almost unbelievable amounts of weight with it. You don't need to get a huge controller. The stock one will give you all you need if the motor has a clean, low resistance path from which to draw those amps. Be sure to clean and polish the guts of your FNR switch, that worked like a miracle for me, as far as keeping cable lugs from getting cooked off.

I have way more than $1000 in my cart over the last couple of years, but you can get mobile for that if all you need is batteries. I love my Medalist and I'm betting you will love yours, too! I wish I could be given a free roller. I want another one to make a trailer out of. Big cooler under the seat, grill on the back... OK, I'm just gonna stop there, this is your thread.

kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here are my winter/ mud tires...

Last edited by kab69440; 04-14-2012 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: pic link did not work
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

like kab said. big cables, hd f/r switch or maybe just scottyb's hd bars, hd solenoid and you will be good. next step would be a larger controller, about 400 amp. your stock motor will work just fine with all this. as for a locker, you will need the larger carrier assy. from a 99 or newer axle to fit one. i swapped mine out and used plowman's unit. it is great! good luck.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
BradCouch22
Not Yet Wild

Your cart is just junk, I would give it to a friend who needs a cart!!!!! you rode mine last night, son i told you thats alll we need!!!!
BradCouch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
dukedog1
Not Yet Wild

After more reading I have found that creeping around on these carts is bad for them. What can I do to help out with keeping the heat down. Cart will mostly be used for very slow moving. Moving 20 to 30 yds at a time then stopping and listen for a min or two then moving again.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That won't be a problem. I've spent over an hour at a time creeping mine at walking speed, stopping to pick up a piece of litter, and creeping again. No matter how you drive, eventually the controller WILL fail. There is nothing you can do about it. My advice is to grab a good used spare and carry it with you.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedog1 View Post
After more reading I have found that creeping around on these carts is bad for them. What can I do to help out with keeping the heat down. Cart will mostly be used for very slow moving. Moving 20 to 30 yds at a time then stopping and listen for a min or two then moving again.
Get off and walk, carry a chair so you can sit while you wait.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
dukedog1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Get off and walk, carry a chair so you can sit while you wait.
been walking too much. Thats what the cart is all about. trying to be lazier. me and bradcouch22 gonna be 400pds by the time hunting season is over. After the first night hunting off his cart we both got spoiled really quick.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
dukedog1
Not Yet Wild

got some trojan t105s for $100 a piece. Now to weld up the battery tray and make some cables. Getting the show started.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO