lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
justykumbusty
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 Ezgo Txt Freedom Rear Hitch Problem

Hello, I would like to install a hitch onto my ezgo txt- but i have come across a couple of issues- i took this golf cart on my trailer to the local golf cart shop, they told me the rear seat hitch did not fit (the one that bolts directly into the back and front of rear seat floor), I have tried almost everything and no luck. If anyone could please help me find a hitch that would fit this. It does have an unusual rear seat kit on it- I am planning on towing about 6-8 kids for haloween on it. Please get back to me urgently- thank you so much.

justykumbusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 Ezgo Txt Freedom Rear Hitch Problem

If you think the rear seat frame and foot rest are securely attached to the cart consider taking it to a local welding/machine shop. They could easily fab a steel plate that matches the existing bolt holes and weld a hitch receiver tube to it. Another option might be to get a steel plate and drill holes in it yourself to fit the cart bolts. Then get the one your dealer has and bolt it to the plate. Or take the one the dealer has and see if the shop can alter it to fit. I am guessing your cart dealer just doesn't want to mess with it for whatever reason. Also check with a local shop that sells hitches. You might be able to use a step bumper hitch and just have to drill a few holes to able to bolt it to the step frame.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

you could do like I did on my old ezgo. I drilled a hole in the edge of the rear step and also two 1/4 inch steel plates about 4 inches square. Just installed the hitch ball through one steel plate then the step then the other square plate. The two steel plates basically sandwiched the rear step sheetmetal for extra thickness. I had no issues with this hitch and even pulled my 6 X 13 flatbed trailer with a load around the property. Look closely at the picture and you can see the hitch ball. Your model may require you to remove the rear handle assembly to allow for turning. Mine was further apart than yours.

1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moretoy View Post
Looks like the two inspectors approve the installation. Great idea.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
justykumbusty
Not Yet Wild

Hello- Thank you so much for getting back to me :), if i understand correctly- you are saying to buy a steel plate and have it mounted to the steel, then let them weld the receiver? I have a local welding shop in mind, I just hope it can still pull :) - thank you so much
Old 10-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
justykumbusty
Not Yet Wild

I also forgot to mention- everything is plastic besides the two steel bars with a hole in it.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by justykumbusty View Post
Hello- Thank you so much for getting back to me :), if i understand correctly- you are saying to buy a steel plate and have it mounted to the steel, then let them weld the receiver? I have a local welding shop in mind, I just hope it can still pull :) - thank you so much
Quote:
I also forgot to mention- everything is plastic besides the two steel bars with a hole in it.
Take the cart to the welding shop and let them look at it. Usually these guys can cobble up a fix for most anything. Welding close to the plastic can melt the plastic, but the welders know that. If they think the steel in the seat and footrest is not strong enough perhaps they can tie into something on the cart chassis. And it is not like you are going to be pulling a 5000 lb. boat or something. I think I would be more concerned about the cart brakes pulling a load of kids and use caution on any steep downhill grades if possible.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
justykumbusty
Not Yet Wild

absolutly, safety is my number one priority , I am currently trying to locate a welding shop and will bring it there. I will keep you updated- thanks again
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
justykumbusty
Not Yet Wild

I have got my hitch and is extremely satisfied, i ordered it from Micheal Foster and got it within 4 days! It was great, it is extremely sturdy also :). My only question is- do you think that i could pull a 4x6 trailer, close to dry- just hauling some leaves or minor logs around. Also do you think the brakes would still work, we have a small decline on a hill, but it is the street. Also what would you say the max miles i would get for one charge, and how fast i would go?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I have got my hitch and is extremely satisfied, i ordered it from Micheal Foster and got it within 4 days! It was great, it is extremely sturdy also :). My only question is- do you think that i could pull a 4x6 trailer, close to dry- just hauling some leaves or minor logs around. Also do you think the brakes would still work, we have a small decline on a hill, but it is the street. Also what would you say the max miles i would get for one charge, and how fast i would go?
Thanks for the kind words man! I am glad that you are pleased. Yes, your cart will be able to stop what you are pulling as long as you take the load into consideration. Here is a video showing that your cart will do what you are asking:
monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1998, freedom, hitch, rear, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO