lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
JGDUSC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Question 2001 TXT PDS suspension questions.

Cart has the lean to drivers side so many have dealt with. It was already leaning when I bought it. Seller pointed out busted leaf spring bushing so wasn't a big deal. Replaced it but still leaning considerably. Compounding the problem, I added an accessory battery to the driver’s side.

Upon inspection I found the front drivers side shock busted(oily residue all over). I also noticed that the driver side leaf spring seems to be substantially flatter than the passenger which seems right based on the driver always being there.

I am thinking I should replace the rear leaf springs with HD leaf springs since it has the rear seat and is lifted. (Recommended right?) Definitely need a new front shock.

Trying to decide if A.) I should just replace the one broken shock with exact replacement. B.) Replace both with same since they are probably the same age or C.) replace both with auto style shocks if better than cart shocks. Seems to be some question or divide on their use on carts from what I have read. The ezgo replacements(76419-G01/5707-G1) don’t seem like that much via site sponsor vs what I would think the automotive style would cost. But would love for some suggestions if anyone thinks differently.

Also wondering if I should replace the rear shocks since I will have all torn apart to put in leafs or just wait until there is an issue? Not sure if there will be any benefit other than just knowing its all new.

While poking around I noticed that one of the spacers on the leaf spring bolt was loose. Only one out of 8. Seems like I should just tighten up that one nut but wondered if it was indicative any impending failure. Noticed that the ezgo website suggest ordering new bolts with the HD springs. Looking at the bolts on the cart, they appear to have room for another leaf, but let me know if anyone sees different.

Also decided to take a peek at the brakes on one side for fun, but having no experience with this quickly replaced everything. Included a photo in case there is something ridiculously obvious I am missing. Nothing really wrong with the brakes as I can tell but I think they don't stop quite as good as they should.

Lot here but hopefully I haven’t broken any rules or failed to exercise any forum etiquette. If either, I trust I will be promptly corrected. Thanks for taking the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spacer.JPG (38.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg brake.JPG (38.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg driver leaf.JPG (56.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg passenger leaf.JPG (56.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (56.3 KB, 0 views)
JGDUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2001 TXT PDS suspension questions.

Had to flip my laptop upside down to view some of those... Yep, springs are shot. First thing you need to look at is the steering wheel post. Does it have 4 bolts or 3 holding it to the floor ? 4 is the new style and suspension is different between the two. Rear is not but the front is. Be warned on HD springs, they ride much firmer. If it is a newer style and you want to go HD, check out the mid-rise lift from EZ-Go. Comes with all four springs, two rear shocks and misc hardware. On sale for like $160.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
JGDUSC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry about the pics. Struggled a bit getting them uploaded cause it was my first time. I am sure most are aware that the iphone (or any camera phone) is a great tool to have with you on any project but Apple doesn't play well with Windows. It always saves them upside down. Have to remember to rotate pics but for some reason Windows 7 won't keep them that way. Sure it is a little Steven Jobs nose thumbing at windows. I'll try to do better in the furture. . Thanks for the info. Will check it as soon as I get home.

Forgive my ignorance but when you say firmer, will I be uncomfortable? Or have handling issues?

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It will be stiffer for sure. IMO, The 4 leaf springs are really made for the Workhorses and Refreshers that are carrying a lot of weight, like 6-800 pounds. A rear seat and a couple of people will add say 400 pounds so I personnally use the 3 leaf.. Even my workhorses use the 3 leaf because I know I will never load them that much... I guess if you were to buy the 4s you could always take a leaf out if it was too stiff.. Either way, I will look this weekend, I may have some..
Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
JGDUSC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That makes since. I definitely don't want it to be too stiff. I checked the steering wheel. Looks like 4 bolts. Also emailed EZGO

"Dear Customer,

Yes, 611889 will fit on your vehicle. Your serial number states you have a 2001 TXT Standard (PDS) Electric. Your vehicle was manufactured after the January 2001 date that is required for this mid rise lift kit."

Looks like this kit is the way to go? Assuming these leaf springs have 3? Ordered a shock bushing kit and 12 extra LS Bushings in preparation. Any other parts needed?

Any recommendations on front shocks. Go back with OEM or automotive?

Looks like there is 11% off at ezgo. Haven't checked any other site sponsors to see if the carry any cheaper but depending on S/H may just go pick up.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I hate it when that happens.. Typed out a long answer just to hit the wrong button and close the browser...

The mid-rise kit uses the 4 leaf in the back. If you look that kit up on EZ site, click on the install instructions. They have a parts list of what comes with it. If you are not in a hurry, I will look through my parts stuff and see what I have..
Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
JGDUSC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah. No need to feel bad on that one. I have a gold medal in clicking the wrong box. I am the IT manager. Not in any hurray and appreciate you looking but don't mind buying. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Nah, didn't click the wrong one just was using my notebook with a itty bitty keyboard and my fat hands hit the mouse touchpad and a close. Doh !! Will look today.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Found a pair of HD front springs for old style and new style. Also found a single 4 leaf rear spring. Need to look around because I think I have the other one somewhere. All new. Now, I bought these for my workhorses because I thought I needed them but have been fine with the regular duty.. If it were me, I would just get the regular duty..
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
JGDUSC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for taking the time to look. I'll let you know if I decide to go HD. Past weekend was shot and this one it not looking much better. Hate when Carolina is on in the middle of the day!

Tags
leaf springs, shocks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO