lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #21
Oneunder
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: obc repair?

If you want to eliminate the OBC using a smart charger, do you need to do this bypass procedure or is it a different process?

How does increasing the voltage to 60+ impact this?
Oneunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The procedure displayed applies specifically if You have a charger that provides a negative signal when plugged to the cart in the existing "gray" wire and You want it to disable the controller during charging.

If You have a new charger that can control the charging process by itself, You need to by-pass both functions of the OBC.

1) Charge control
Run a new 10ga wire from the back of charger receptacle directly to pack negative.
Disconnect (cut) the gray sense wire from the back of the charger receptacle.
2) Controller Lockout (Precedent Only)
Disconnect the 6 pin plug from the OBC, place a jumper between the red and blue wires on the harness side of the 6pin connector.

Remember that after the by-pass, the cart will drive even if the charger is still connected.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #23
Oneunder
Getting Wild
Club Car

Sergio,
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #24
Oneunder
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The procedure displayed applies specifically if You have a charger that provides a negative signal when plugged to the cart in the existing "gray" wire and You want it to disable the controller during charging.

If You have a new charger that can control the charging process by itself, You need to by-pass both functions of the OBC.

1) Charge control
Run a new 10ga wire from the back of charger receptacle directly to pack negative.
Disconnect (cut) the gray sense wire from the back of the charger receptacle.
2) Controller Lockout (Precedent Only)
Disconnect the 6 pin plug from the OBC, place a jumper between the red and blue wires on the harness side of the 6pin connector.

Remember that after the by-pass, the cart will drive even if the charger is still connected.
So, I just tried this. I removed the OBC, joined the red to blue from the harness side of 6 pin plug, and attached neg battery directly to controller. What have I forgotten as I have nothing when trying to power up?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #25
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is it, if you mean the cart is not running, make sure everything is connected again and that the tow switch is on Run.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #26
Oneunder
Getting Wild
Club Car

I did not reconnect the red wire going to the charging receptacle from the battery pack + as I am no longer using it to charge. I suspect that is my problem. I plan to check that tonight.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
jimbo5775
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Interesting post I too believe I have a bad OBC. Charger charges but not getting to batteries. Thought maybe a wire crossed or bad connection but after trouble shooting some found charger works but not getting to batteries. it stops at the OBC. I was thinking about a complete upgrade anyway just not sure which way to go. I have to many toys not enough money and this one is getting expensive now.
jimbo5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car