lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
RivieraNaturistResort
Not Yet Wild

Default Negative battery post sparks when go pedal depressed

I have just replaced the solenoid and mcor on my 2007 club car precedent. When I press the go pedal the negative battery post that runs thru the computer starts sparking. I have cleaned all of the posts and ring terminals. The cart just starts to move while sparking but I let off on the pedal quickly to stop the sparking. The voltage on that battery is 12.4 while the rest of the batteries are 12.7. Any ideas?
RivieraNaturistResort is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Negative battery post sparks when go pedal depressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivieraNaturistResort View Post
I have just replaced the solenoid and mcor on my 2007 club car precedent. When I press the go pedal the negative battery post that runs thru the computer starts sparking. I have cleaned all of the posts and ring terminals. The cart just starts to move while sparking but I let off on the pedal quickly to stop the sparking. The voltage on that battery is 12.4 while the rest of the batteries are 12.7. Any ideas?
Are you talking about the negative cable that runs through the OBC (On Board Computer) that runs the charging system? The cable where it runs through the OBC, or the post on the controller, or the post at the battery? Something isn't making a good connection if it is even able to spark.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
RivieraNaturistResort
Not Yet Wild

The post on the battery is where the sparking and heat develop. The cable from this battery post runs thru the OBC to the controller. I have cleaned the battery post and ring terminal and made sure there is a good connection.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The battery may have a shorted cell. Use caution the sparks CAN ignite the battery gasses resulting in an explosion causing bodily harm or worse.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

While entirely possible that you have "other" issues but sparks from a connection are caused by one thing and that being a poor connection. Entirely possible that the cable has corrosion under the insulation.

Also what the guy above me said too...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Electric current will always take the path of least resistance. For it to spark it is jumping through the air rather than by direct metal to metal contact. In many cases the contact area is small enough that while a low amperage current (lights) can pass through the direct contact, there is not enough for a larger amperage draw (motor under load) to get through and it jumps the air gap surrounding the small direct contact area - creating the spark. It's telling you that there is poor contact in that connection. Dirty, corroded or now maybe burned/melted/mis-shaped battery post, loose or corroded contact between the steel bolt set into the battery terminal, bad cable end or corrosion where the wire itself is joined to the ring terminal. Might want to replace the terminal on the end of that cable and closely inspect the battery terminal to see if it's even able to make good contact. The heat is a byproduct of the bad connection, but it will melt your battery terminal - if it hasn't already.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sparks indicate a very bad connection where the sparking is happening. I would suspect a bad cable end if it's clean and tight.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
RivieraNaturistResort
Not Yet Wild

I will put a new cable on it this weekend and give it a try.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Use caution the sparks CAN ignite the battery gasses resulting in an explosion causing bodily harm or worse.
I'll bet that would give a Naturist a thrill. :)
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #10
RivieraNaturistResort
Not Yet Wild

My problem is fixed. New battery, and new battery cables.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car