lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #11
Cartnoob13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: New member, dead battery cell and voltage concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Check the MFG info on the top of your batteries to find the MFG date.
The dates are all C4 and D4 - early '14
Cartnoob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #12
Cartnoob13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
Since it turns off I would say that you have a bad battery. If it didn't turn off I would suspect an unbalanced pack and an equalization charge might help. You might want to try that anyway. Next time the the charger finishes charging unplug the DC cord and plug it right back in again and let it go through its cycle. See if that helps. Also can you verify that the batteries are 2014. See if there is some kind of date stamp on the battery.
No, I have not tried the method you mentioned. I will give that a shot and see if the voltage will creep up a little overall.

I guess my main question here (aside from the bad cell) is "Is it normal for the max voltage to be around 49.5 for 2 year old batteries? Or do you suppose that could be that way because the previous owner didn't properly maintain them?"
Old 10-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #13
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

It's normal for a battery to be @50.9 volts fully charged. While charging the voltage should read about 58.5Volts.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Cartnoob13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It's normal for a battery to be @50.9 volts fully charged. While charging the voltage should read about 58.5Volts.
Hmmmm, I definitely have not been able to get the voltage up to 50.9. I measured today and the voltage while charging maxes out at 56.6 volts.

???
Old 10-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since both of your voltages are reading 1.4 volts low I suspect defective test equip. See if you can come up with a different meter and try again. BTW nobody has ever asked "How does your cart drive" Are you having any problems or are you just concerned about this one battery reading low.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
Cartnoob13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Since both of your voltages are reading 1.4 volts low I suspect defective test equip. See if you can come up with a different meter and try again. BTW nobody has ever asked "How does your cart drive" Are you having any problems or are you just concerned about this one battery reading low.
Definitely correct readings. Have several multimeters and they are both within a tenth of each other on all voltages.

It runs just fine but seems like the range is not what others say. If I leave the lights on I get about 7 miles of continuous running. Others have said hey get almost 20 or more miles
Old 10-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #17
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well it looks like we've eliminated all possibilities except you haven't mentioned the equalization charging yet. Try that and see if anything improves. If not look at buying 6 new batteries. The other 5 that are reading 8.25 are also bad. They should read 8.5v fully charged. I'm going to attach a message written by David Hicks (Golf Cart Genius) see it it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Charging Batteries.txt (3.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #18
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartnoob13 View Post
Definitely correct readings. Have several multimeters and they are both within a tenth of each other on all voltages.

It runs just fine but seems like the range is not what others say. If I leave the lights on I get about 7 miles of continuous running. Others have said hey get almost 20 or more miles
Well since you are ruling out an inaccurate meter and your range is not up to what others "SAY" they get, the only 2 steps left are to try back to back equalization chargings and/or replace your batteries. Is is common for batteries to be failing after 2 years? Not really but still yes depending on how they were taken care of and as I mentioned previously some brands are more failure prone than others. What brand?
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #19
Cartnoob13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Well since you are ruling out an inaccurate meter and your range is not up to what others "SAY" they get, the only 2 steps left are to try back to back equalization chargings and/or replace your batteries. Is is common for batteries to be failing after 2 years? Not really but still yes depending on how they were taken care of and as I mentioned previously some brands are more failure prone than others. What brand?

The batteries are PD Plus.

I tried back to back equalization charging by just unplugging and plugging back in. Still 49.4 or so.

It's hard to find what a normal range should be. With big wheels and lots of accessories what would you people say would be an acceptable range.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #20
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartnoob13 View Post
The batteries are PD Plus.

I tried back to back equalization charging by just unplugging and plugging back in. Still 49.4 or so.

It's hard to find what a normal range should be. With big wheels and lots of accessories what would you people say would be an acceptable range.
From what I've gleaned from my purchase and reading here PD batteries start failing anywhere from 2 to 3 years of use unless taken very good care of. Mine could have passed for new in the looks department but least 2 could not hold a charge if allowed to sit more than a week. Since you have 14 " rims I'm going to assume you have 24" tires? If so those will hurt your range without question. As to range I'm not really going to be good at that as my range is always going to be shorter as where we live the hills go on forever but I think if I headed to flatland I'd have 15 miles at 25 MPH...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car