lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Power drive charger question

I converted my series cart with resistors to 48 volt battery pack from 36 volt.I have a power drive charger and good obc that works can i wire the the obc to resistor cart and use the charger obc and receptical to charge the cart?
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Power drive charger question

An OBC for a series car is very simple. You're gonna have three wires on a pigtail that you'll need to wire up. Red, Yellow, and Brown. Red is constant power, 48V Positive. This wire can go on the solenoid with the main red wire coming from the #1 battery. Yellow is the solenoid ground circuit. It needs to go on the small post of the solenoid coil negative. This needs to be the only wire there. If you've got a wire on it now that's hardwired to negative, you can discard it. The brown wire feeds the amber light in the dash. The light will turn on whenever there is an issue with the OBC or battery pack.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is it still a resistor cart?

If so the OBC constant +48v needs to come straight out of pack positive since the solenoid could get 1/2 voltage as well as being entirely OFF when FNR is in neutral.

You also need to wire the OBC gray and black wires and route all negatives to the 6ga cable on the other side of the OBC (motor terminal S2).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

It is still resistor cart ok theres a 48 volt wire red in color then yellow these old carts the negative is run tru the key switch to send negative signal only when cart is on with key switch on so do i need to hook it up to negative side of control solenoid or to neg battery pack?then the brown goes to the battery indicator light do i need to use the negative on indicator to key switch negative or do i wire it to battery pack negative,or does the obc send the indicator a neg signal?I guess i better look at a wiring diagram more closely .Im guessing the obc has to be wired and be on all the time is that correct?
Old 11-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok i looked a wiring diagram the indicator light looks like it gets a ground signal from obc to turn it on.So there like six wires going to obc since i got the charge plug i can wire it red to 48 volt positive brown indicator light yellow sends ground to solenoid negative small post it turns off solenoid when battery volts drops below cut off you have two blaks one runs to charge plug the other goes to motor negative the the grey goes to charger plug as a signal wire the the motor negative wire must pass tru the grommet on obc
Old 11-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since You mentioned negative key switch, this must be a 5 solenoid cart.

The brown wire from the OBC is a +36v signal since the OEM warning light is 12v, the +48v is the positive side. Do You have the original warning light?

I would not connect the yellow wire from the OBC, it was designed to "sink" current from 1 solenoid, not 5.

If You want a safety interlock, use the yellow wire to trigger a relay that provides power to the solenoids.

You probably should run a 10ga wire from the Motor S2 terminal, where the main negative cable that comes through the OBC is connected, to a connecting block.

You can then terminate all of cart negatives there: solenoids, OBC, accessories, etc.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

These parts came off a 48volt cart i do have original indicator also
Old 11-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Good catch Sergio. I was thinking it was a solid state cart that had been fully converted.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

I appreciate all the info here great bunch of people im going to mock up it up friday and do a test charge i was trying to sell the charger and buy a stand alone one but if i can make it work will run it.This cart i bought for a 100 dollars with no motor i picked up a ds cart with 48 volt curtis controller that was junk.It had good 8 volt batteries and charger but curtis motor and steering was shot.I picked up a motor 48 volt from another solid state cart that had a bad curtis controller for 75 i ended up putting the 8 volt batteries in the old ds cart with 5 solenoids wiring the control voltage to 40 volts and used the 48 volt motor.It runs great has alot more torque then my other 1982 ds cart about same over all speed.Just making a cart out of a bunch of junked out carts.So far i got 175 in it and i looks really good for its age just needs a bottom seat cover and both headlights has the holes cut out for them tires are ok.I really like these old csrts there simple parts are cheap easy to work on.I will use it a t are camp site that has a 10 mph limit .I have a 1982 thats really nice i picked up for 300 this will give me a his and her cart for next summer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car