lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Craigslist Battery Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
While you're out there Scotty, I purchased and installed one of your DVMs a couple of years ago. Well worth the money. After a full charge the pack only gets to 37.7-37.8. Cart still scoots fine and no problems. Seems like they used to get well over 38. Is this normal wear?

Hi Chipper -
It's common for older batteries to not show as much voltage as they once did as they age. It's a sure sign that you will be in the market for batteries this year. Coupled with lower finish voltage you will see decreased runtime.
Now might be a good time to take advantage of the low battery prices these guys are posting.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
chipper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback guys. One more thing... ... What about shelf life? Do I need to worry about how long they've been sitting on the dealer's shelf?

Sorry if these questions seem elementary but I'm relatively new to these things.
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I've noticed a few dealers in the Atlanta area advertising on Craigslist listing a set of six new Trojan T-105s for $569. Similar pricing for Crowns. Seems very low to me. Have any of you folks in that area seen these advertisements or pricing this low? I'm often in that area on business and could pick up a set if I knew it was legit.
There is at least one dealer in Peachtree city advertising CR 235's for $569 plus tax(6%) with cores. It is a legitimate family owned business. I believe he has T-105s at same price. Cheapest price since 2009 that I can recall. I have not gone there too see for myself or done business with them before. Might check it out tomorrow to price CR190s. Only about 3 miles from me.

Anyone know how Crown date codes their batteries?
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #14
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would be wary at that price ! , there was at one time black box Trojans T105 s if that is the case I would stay away from them , Scotty could chime in he knows what I'm referring to , it's just the price is so low ( something fishy )
You certainly do not want to no what I paid for my Cr260 pack , but it was top notch and money well spent
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #15
chipper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That is my concern. As I said, I'm new at this golf cart stuff and wanted to make sure I know what I'm looking at. Can you expand on the "black box" Trojans? What I run into in Alabama is being quoted $100 plus for Trojans then "but I sell brand X for $85 and they are just as good". That always makes me wary.
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #16
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A dealer in Vincent, Al has the T-105 batteries for $99 each. A neighbor just bought some on Monday and they work just fine.
RobCons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Probably been on the shelf a while.

I got a set of black box Trojans,Pacers,in November of 2005 for about $450 for the 91 ez-go and I took them out in December of 2013.Range had gotten low and my dad is almost 80. So I wanted it back right for him to use. I will slide them into a E-10 GE Electrac for demo at a couple shows this year.Would'nt be able to mow long but will work for demonstration.
tdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #18
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
That is my concern. As I said, I'm new at this golf cart stuff and wanted to make sure I know what I'm looking at. Can you expand on the "black box" Trojans? What I run into in Alabama is being quoted $100 plus for Trojans then "but I sell brand X for $85 and they are just as good". That always makes me wary.
"Black box" trojans are Trojan batteries with black tops or maybe completely black cases---I can't remember. The Trojan batteries you want will have a brown case with white caps. Caps could be in a couple of configurations. Trojan is stamped into the case so label counter fitting not an issue. The date of manufacture is stamped into the top of the negative post. It is a two character alphanumeric code. The first is a letter indicating the month: January is A and so on. The second is a number for the year. EG: G9 is July of 2009. If I was shopping for Trojans right now I would accept A4, B4 or C4. Yes, C is March but Trojan dates the batteries a month or so in advance to allow for distribution to the retailers. High volume dealers will have "fresher" batteries. There is enough of those in the Ga/Al area that you shouldn't have a problem finding fresh batteries with matching date codes if you are willing to travel some. The pictures below show Trojan T-105 batteries with two different cap configurations.
The important thing when shopping for golf cart batteries is the Ah rating so you can compare "apples to apples". Trojan T105 is 225Ah at 20 amps. To shop price with other brands you have to compare models with the same Ah rating. Dealers often offer a premium model and a cheaper model. The cheaper model is often a lessor brand but almost always a battery with less Ah capacity. Generally not a good deal as they will give less range per charge and a shorter service life. The chart below (courtesy of johnnieB) compares various 6v batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marathon battery comp.JPG (171.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P9090132.JPG (169.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6 Volt Battery AH comparisons.jpg (99.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #19
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
I would be wary at that price ! , there was at one time black box Trojans T105 s if that is the case I would stay away from them , Scotty could chime in he knows what I'm referring to , it's just the price is so low ( something fishy )
You certainly do not want to no what I paid for my Cr260 pack , but it was top notch and money well spent
The going price for T105s in this area has been $99 ($594 for six) for some time. At $569 they are only discounting $6 per battery.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #20
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Quote:
I've noticed a few dealers in the Atlanta area advertising on Craigslist listing a set of six new Trojan T-105s for $569. Similar pricing for Crowns. Seems very low to me. Have any of you folks in that area seen these advertisements or pricing this low? I'm often in that area on business and could pick up a set if I knew it was legit.

His name is Tim and yes he is legit, I know him. I actually just got a set of Crowns from him last weekend.
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, craigslist, dealer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO